Anyone Care To Explain This Remark?

Quoted from this page arduino.cc/en/Main/Buy

“Note [from massimo]:We stress the fact that all the boards are made in italy because in this globalised world, were getting the lowest possible price for products sometimes translates into poor pay and working conditions for the people who make them, at least you know that who made your board was reasonably paid and worked in a safe environment. (this obviously applies only to the boards marked “made in italy”, other boards are now made in the USA)”

Who is implying what exactly? I find this comment highly offensive, rude, uncalled for, unprofessional and unnecessary. You don’t mind selling product to my country but you assume any product made here is substandard or that the employee who made it didn’t earn a decent wage at a safe workplace? Ever hear of OSHA?

Relax and don’t be so easy to offend. It’s not a big deal.

The stuff is made in places where the environment is better for the workers as compared to other places where it’s not. That’s all.

Ugh, ultranationalism is ugly, no matter who does it. Accounts with one vociferous comment are pretty suspect-- I wonder if you’ll even read or reply.

The founders aren’t saying USA has unsafe work conditions. And in fact, they seem to trust the USA producers enough to sanction their use of the Arduino brand on their own products (such as SparkFun’s Arduino Pro Mini). But if they were made in horrible sweatshops in Cambodia (for instance), there’s an ethical and humanistic dilemma.

The founders simply comment that their main production arrangement is able to produce solid quality at a reasonable price without exploiting the workers in safety or fair wages, which anyone in the electronics industry knows, is a hard balance to find these days.

Quote:
“The founders simply comment that their main production arrangement is able to produce solid quality at a reasonable price without exploiting the workers in safety or fair wages, which anyone in the electronics industry knows, is a hard balance to find these days.”

If that’s the case why not simply state that? It could easily be said that they strive to use companies with a proven safe track record who employ people at a fair wage. It isn’t necessary to point the finger at anyone or any country for that matter. There are ways to get your point of view across without being offensive to anyone especially in this particular case.

It isn’t necessary to point the finger at anyone or any country for that matter.

Definition of irony.

This seems like trolling, but I’ll go anyway.

No country were pointed. Maybe you should read carefully. The final sentence just says that this applies to the board made in Italy, because the first words were “We stress the fact that all the boards are made in italy”.

Originally, the Arduino was produced and sold only by smartprojects, an italy-based company. The Arduino being open source, other manufacturers grabed it and produced it locally (Sparkfun, Boulder, Colorado, does it, for exemple).

Oh, crap, I was going for a long monologue but who really cares ? Just read carefully and you’ll understand the meaning of the words…

Arduino Boards are still ONLY made by Smart Projects in Italy. What Sparkfun is doing is designing and manufacturing variations of the Arduino board (Arduino Pro, Arduino Pro mini), and paying the Arduino Foundation a royalty fee for using the name.

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious - Oscar Wilde

I would think the comment was more about the ethics of not dealing with who ever could give the cheapest production cost *cough china without taking into account that nations labour legislations.

but if you feel the need to huff and puff about it, what exactly do America manufacture now days?

with the notabel exception of Semiconductors, your fastest growing exports have become.
1:Wheat.
2:Sorghum, barley and oats.
3:Dairy products and eggs.

Looks more like a nation of farmers then manufactures?

mmm… talking bout sweat shops and cheap labor… i think more clarity would help… say for example a board manufactured in cambodia with wages paid at european standards would simply be unaffordable for cambodians in the local market and a board manufactured with cambodian wage standards would look so cheap that one in europe might think that the laborers were paid cheap wages. on top of it cheap labor could also mean providing employment to more people… No I aint no capitalist :wink:

Using punctuation, the shift key, and sentences, will help clarify things.
Crazy political stream-of-consciousness ramblings are all over the internets, would be nice to keep this forum free of it.

That includes you, newly signed up troll guy, Go_USA.

Massimo Banzi was kind enough to explain it was merely a translational issue and not a jab, I therefore apologize for jumping to a conclusion. Please go on about your merry lives and God bless!

“…and God bless!”
now that is offensive!

lol jk jk. :wink:

break;