Anyone Got a Moment to Look at My First Board?

Attached are my Eagle schematic and board files for a pressure sensing pump switch. It will turn a pump on and off at user defined settings. There are a couple of switches to set on/off pressures, a button to toggle between PSI/Bar, a reset button, an LCD, a pressure sensor, a DC Jack for 12V in and another jack for the pump that will be controlled. An Atmega 328tqfp controls it all. Does anything appear out of place or wrong? Much thanks in advance.

MISTFITZ PSPS REV1.1.brd (83.4 KB)

MISTFITZ PSPS REV1.1.sch (378 KB)

Overall good. There are a few mistakes I’ve seen people make when getting started with boards, so here are some things I’d consider “fixing.”

1. On the Left between Diode1 and the Mosfet, that tiny via makes those nice fat traces kind of pointless. Either make the via bigger, or create polygons for those nets with several Vias.

2. Lots of places your traces hug opposing component pads when there is plenty of space. Even if they pass DRC, give yourself some room: Reset Switch, R2, R1, R4, BAR/PSI, R5, R3, ICSP. If the “outer” layer 1 trace (N$3) is moved to the right , then your N$8 trace wouldn’t have to snake between the two rows of pins.

Personally, I’d rather use vias to move traces around, than run them in between pins…

1. C4. Again, that tiny little via makes those big fat traces pointless.

2. Underneath a microcontroller, you really don’t want to run traces. At least one side of the board should be a well connected ground plane. Ideally, both sides of the board should be a good ground plane with vias connecting them together.

Like this:

1. Also, you should avoid vias underneath a chip if you are going to run this through any kind of reflow process (the via’s solderpaste can put stress on the bottom of the chip.)

2. You really need to be using ground (and potentially signal) planes. Here’s a video I made on how to create them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5aZQLSJajI

Edit: Move image to #3