Anyone in UK purchased from USA ?

Hi All

Apologies if this is the wrong category!

Do folk here who are in the UK ever buy from eBay USA? I am wondering because I have seen some cracking deals. I don't think I have ever seen a single item offered for sale from the USA when I have been on eBay dot co dot uk.

Just curious...

Most of the stuff on eBay USA comes from the Far East anyway. The shippers are normally happy to ship to the UK. If in doubt then ask them.

Hey Mike

Yep, totally agree with you. However why I ask is because items I see on dot com quoted in USD, are cheaper than those on dot co uk quoted in GBP. The XE conversion of price is also often significantly cheaper. I haven't checked if they are the exact same supplier, but for many items it looks as though it's cheaper in the U.K. to order items from Chinese suppliers from eBay dot com!

I may do a delivery speed test

OTOH if you get caught for duty and VAT plus a "customs handling charge" on the way into the UK it may not be cheaper at all. So it depends on the value of what you're buying. The VAT free limit is only £15. Customs duty limit is about £135 I think.

Steve

slipstick:
OTOH if you get caught for duty and VAT plus a "customs handling charge" on the way into the UK it may not be cheaper at all. So it depends on the value of what you're buying. The VAT free limit is only £15. Customs duty limit is about £135 I think.

Steve

Yep, you're right if that happens, Steve!
I am planning a 'lots of little stuff' purchase i.e. small breadboards, jumper wires (MF, MM, FF), couple of Pro Mini's, various components etc - so value is small and certainly under £135, may even be under £15 if I split it! Appreciate it's only pennies that are saved, but it's fun to shop for Arduino goodies eh! :slight_smile:

While the VAT may only be pennies, there is an £8.00 charge from the post office for collecting it.

And that is if you are lucky. The last time I got something from the US, it came through UPS, and I was charged £15.00 for VAT and collection charge and another £15.00 for duty and VAT on the portion of the carriage to the EU border. On top of the $30.00 they charged me for carriage.

The item was only $35.00 and I had a $30.00 gift voucher.

Grumpy_Mike:
While the VAT may only be pennies, there is an £8.00 charge from the post office for collecting it.

And that is if you are lucky. The last time I got something from the US, it came through UPS, and I was charged £15.00 for VAT and collection charge and another £15.00 for duty and VAT on the portion of the carriage to the EU border. On top of the $30.00 they charged me for carriage.

Blimey Mike! So how come there's no customs charge on the items I have bought from China?

You have to be lucky. Or cheat. Chinese suppliers sometimes have a habit of declaring things as “gifts” or of declaring the value as <£15.00 whether you ask them to or not. Good if it works but it can cost you a lot of money if Customs happen to spot it, because it’s you they blame.

You’re probably in with a reasonable chance with Arduino stuff though, because in my experience small packets often get through untroubled.

Steve

Grumpy_Mike:

Similar experiences , seems to be pot luck.

theMusicMan:
Hey Mike

Yep, totally agree with you. However why I ask is because items I see on dot com quoted in USD, are cheaper than those on dot co uk quoted in GBP. The XE conversion of price is also often significantly cheaper. I haven’t checked if they are the exact same supplier, but for many items it looks as though it’s cheaper in the U.K. to order items from Chinese suppliers from eBay dot com!

I have done some limited experiments from china from Hobbyking .

3 weeks after delivery had a demand fir customs charges and a fee for collecting said charges from the carrier.

Packaging indicated delivery from UK address but tracking information indicated it came from Colorado USA.

Grumpy_Mike:

Yes and you can refuse to take the package.

Fed Ex is wise to this.
After taking delivery i recieved a tax demand 3 weeks later by mail.
I would have refused delivery at postie as it ended up costing 3 times what i could have paid for a UK scourced part.l