Anyone know much about EL wire/panels? Quick question if you do.

I bought this cheap EL panel from a Chinese supplier. It works, but it is fairly dim and only draws .15 ampere. My top quality HP supply can provide 5A @12V and I am not current limiting it in any way. Is that par for the course or should I be disappointed? Despite being slightly pink, the radiated light is white. Thanks for any ideas or information.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141680721787

ELPanel.jpg

Par for the course I suspect.

These are generally for decoration rather than illumination.

Paul__B:
Par for the course I suspect.

These are generally for decoration rather than illumination.

I wasn't expecting brilliant light. But it hardly can be seen as being on in a lit room. If someone was wearing it as part of a costume at night it would be a different matter, of course, but with any other lighting it is quite unimpressive. I just realized I have another inverter from some EL wire from an earlier idea, maybe I will give that a try today.

JoeN:
But it hardly can be seen as being on in a lit room.

Sounds about par for the course.

JoeN:
If someone was wearing it as part of a costume at night it would be a different matter, of course, but with any other lighting it is quite unimpressive.

The difference between the original LEDs that were always supplied in a red encapsulation to enhance their contrast, and those (clear encapsulation) now used in car stop lamps and traffic lights, is most impressive. I consider the term "ultra-high-brightness" essentially a bogus description from advertising land; the correct term is simply "efficient", no more, no less. It's not that current LEDS are high brightness, it is that the original ones were simply incredibly crude. I have pockets of them here that sadly, I can only set aside as museum pieces as there is simply no sensible way to use them (except perhaps as crude sorts of 1.7 V Zeners).

EL may have progressed somewhat in this time, but it is no longer used for display backlights and we now have daylight displays.