Anything wrong here?

hey guys completely new at this

just want to see if my pull down switch setup should work

also the wiring is okay

thanks for your time!

The switch wiring looks ok but you could use the internal pull up resistors instead and save on component count.

I can't comment on the rest.

ChilliTronix: you could use the internal pull up resistors instead

.... but remember that will invert your logic. Pins which are normally low and you look for a high, will become normally high looking for a low.

Your wiring color choices are non-standard. I’d use Red for +5V (instead of brown) and Black for Ground (instead of Blue). For signals: Orange, Yellow, or Green are good.

You are using Pin 1 for your LCD which will prevent you from using Serial for debug I/O and may require the unplugging of that wire to do uploads.

Do not use pins 0 or 1. Just do not - it is going to cause you trouble.

Nine switches? In a 3 by 3 matrix, you could do that with six pins and not even want to use pin 0 or 1, but you need a diode per switch - that's OK, they are really cheap. I certainly would not advise using pull-downs; if you do have one pin per switch, connect the switches to ground, not +5V.

thanks guys for input.... lol

non standard you are correct it didnt know ty!

the matrix keypad is good but the housing i am making has some high end switches on them used in the food industry.

as for the pins 1 and 0 thanks a lot!

so you guys think i should ground my switches and change the logic?

havent even done the logic yet!

thanks again

haydenbn:
the matrix keypad is good but the housing I am making has some high end switches on them used in the food industry.

So?

Do you not know what a matrix is?

Hi, you could simplify your circuit considerably, and free up some Arduino pins for future enhancements, by using one of these:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/i2clcd-backpack-v2?keyword=serial%20lcd

You would solder this to the back of your lcd and then wire it up to the same lines your temperature sensor is using (the i2c bus). The adaptor has the pot built in too.

Paul

Paul__B: So?

Do you not know what a matrix is?

i had a look at it.

i am sorry i thought it was the key pad. but now i look at it further you can put any button into them?

PaulRB: Hi, you could simplify your circuit considerably, and free up some Arduino pins for future enhancements, by using one of these:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/i2clcd-backpack-v2?keyword=serial%20lcd

You would solder this to the back of your lcd and then wire it up to the same lines your temperature sensor is using (the i2c bus). The adaptor has the pot built in too.

Paul

thanks paul thats very useless

this is a very steep learning curve for me!

useless

I'll put that down to your first language not being English...

Yes, you can use almost any type of switch in a matrix. What makes it a matrix is how you wire it together.

Another option is to wire your switches into a resistor network and feed the output into an analog input on the Arduino.

well English is but. been living in germany for 2 years.

and my brain isnt really handling it very well.

but yes was meant to say useful!

thanks again for your advice!

PaulRB:
Another option is to wire your switches into a resistor network and feed the output into an analog input on the Arduino.

Not for the faint-hearted - or if reliability is a concern.