apc220 V3.0

Hi guys,

Before i used to work with apc220 rf modules. However today i got a new pair and can't get them to work!!!. I noticed that on the other apc i worked with the part number written on them is RF7021 V4.0, on the new pair the code is APC220 V3.0. Is there a difference. Can anybody help me out.

Thanks.

The APC220 modules that I have (purchased over 2 years ago) are the V3.0 marked modules and work just fine. Have you changed anything else (Windows, IDE version)?

I changed the pc i was working on. Thats all

OK, so what does "can't get them to work" mean? Are you sure that the RF channels, air rate and serial baud rates all match? Can you connect with them in the setup utility?

I have both the RF7020 V4.0, (actually a Dorji DRF7020-D13 V4.0), and APC220 V3.0 modules, and both types work fine, using the same config utility and provided USB-TTL converter.

I note that you said your earlier ones were RF7021, not RF7020. Unless this is a typo, they would have been based on a different chip, I guess. The APC220 modules are based on the ADF7020 chip, and the RF7021, (A Dorji DRF7021), would have been built using the ADF7021 chip. I'm not sure if that's the reason for the problem. You might possibly have previously used a different config utility for the 7021.

You do have the CP2102 driver installed, I assume?

So, for your new modules, you could try downloading the config utility specifically intended for the APC220/DRF7020, and see if that solves your problem.

Here's a download link for the APC220 utility.:- RF Magic Configure Software

This is the same version of rfmagic i am currently trying with. These are the modules i got.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC220-Wireless-Communication-Module-for-Arduino-USB-Converter-/251286016377?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

RyanArduino: This is the same version of rfmagic i am currently trying with. These are the modules i got.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC220-Wireless-Communication-Module-for-Arduino-USB-Converter-/251286016377?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

RyanArduino: This is the same version of rfmagic i am currently trying with. These are the modules i got.

They're identical to the ones I'm using, and they should work fine with the config utility. I'll assume that you have the CP2102 driver correctly installed.

Do you have other devices that use a CP2102? If so, unless they're all set with unique serial numbers, there can often be conflicts. I used a Silicon Labs utility to give all of my CP2102s unique addresses.

If you do have other CP2102-based devices, (they'll show in Device Manager), try disconnecting them, then scan for hardware changes, or even reboot, and try again with the USB-TTL adaptor and config utility.

I do have the driver installed. I do program them but they do not communicate!!!!. Is their maximum baud rate 19200?. Because i dont know whats wrong!!!!.

RyanArduino: I do have the driver installed. I do program them but they do not communicate!!!!. Is their maximum baud rate 19200?. Because i dont know whats wrong!!!!.

Oh right, you didn't mention that you were doing the config and that it was communicating fine. So it gives you a success message after configuration?

If so, as long as you're setting the pair up with the same parameters for RF frequency and RF TX/RX rate, as well as making sure that the serial baud rate and parity are set to suit the sending and receiving Arduinos, everything should work fine.

I usually configure the RF baud rate at 19200, the serial baud rate at either 9600 or 19200, disable parity, and have never had a problem, using either the PC, a PIC or an Arduino to transmit/receive.

Are you 100% sure that you have everything connected up right, and that your code is working as it should?

I am quite sure that the coding and setting up is good. I am suspecting that it is a different model :)

RyanArduino: I am quite sure that the coding and setting up is good. I am suspecting that it is a different model :)

I think that you are suspecting wrong. You said that your's are marked APC220 V3.0. So are mine. Also, the eBay seller's pic that you showed is identical to the one I bought from. ie. The same exact photo.

On top of that, you say that you successfully programmed them. If they were different, this would have failed.

Even if they were a different model, (which they aren't since they're both "V3.0"), they're 'transparent' serial RF links, and will act just like a hard-wired connection, after they're successfully programmed.

Either you have bad modules, or you've done something wrong. My guess is the latter.

Double-check the configuration, your connections and your programs.

I am quite sure everything is ok, they are programming but not communicating. Is there a way to know whether i have a faulty pair or not?

RyanArduino: I am quite sure everything is ok, they are programming but not communicating. Is there a way to know whether i have a faulty pair or not?

Not that I know of, except by testing each in turn communicating with a known working module. Do you have a spare, or one of your earlier modules, to use for this? (It's unlikely that both of your modules are duds.)