Appeal to Federico Fissore

Federico, it is great to see your regular participation in the Yun section of the Forum.

Could you please arrange for one of the Arduino website developers to take up a similar role in the Website and Forum section?

...R

+1

I would change arrange to "try to convince the core Arduino team of the need of".
Note that many people already proposed to help fix "long lasting known errors". So "human" resources should not be a problem

Best regards
Jantje

This is very disappointing.

Federico seems to have deliberately ignored my request.

He has answered several posts now and it is unreasonable to assume that he has not seen this one.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised bearing in mind the cavalier attitude of the website management team towards their customers

...R

There has been an internal message that a lot of time is spent to move the forum to a new version of SMF (forum SW).
ETA: a few weeks(?)

So there are people working behind the scenes, think it is (as always) a balance of priority and resources.

Robin2, sorry for the missing response. Indeed I immediately acknowledged my colleagues and, as robtillaart says, we are going to upgrade the forum to the latest version and the guys that are working on that will start giving the Website&Forum section the love it deserves

I haven't answered this topic before because that would have been just a "I've forwarded your message to the team". It's not worth it to give an answer without numbers :wink: Still, I have no numbers and I'm not aware of an ETA.

Will the new software support Tapatalk?

Frankly I don't know, but I think there will be room for improvements like this once the new thing will be online

Federico, Rob, Thank you for your replies.

The problem I have with all this “working behind the scenes” is that we (the customers) have no input into what is going on. I don’t recall any user liking the last changes to the website (following work behind the scenes).

It would be nice to see a little democracy in which the developers come out from “behind the scenes” and ask the customers what they would like before they start implementing changes.

It would not be difficult to publish a list of proposed changes with an order of priority so that they could be discussed on the forum and new suggestions could be made.

…R

While I basically agree with you, I also know there are many forces that drive the evolution of a brand and its aesthetics. But we are talking about company strategy now, so we are off topic in this forum

I thought customers were central to any successful company's strategy?

But maybe I am old fashioned and out of touch.

I also (perhaps foolishly) assumed the Open Source Arduino system would not allow itself to be smothered by "big business" nonsense including irrelevant secrecy about its interface with its customers.

I suspect won't get a reply to this.

...R

Robin2:
Federico, Rob, Thank you for your replies.

The problem I have with all this “working behind the scenes” is that we (the customers) have no input into what is going on.
…R

The moderators of the forum (including me) do not know this either except for a small part regarding the forum moderation.
We propose strategies for handling spam etc. And we might hear about upgrade of the forum before it is mentioned on the forum. And we get mail if someone reports spam. But we don’t hear (or I am missing a lot) about new products …

Robin2:

[quote author=Federico Fissore link=topic=242743.msg1745056#msg1745056 date=1401447505]
But we are talking about company strategy now, so we are off topic in this forum

I thought customers were central to any successful company’s strategy?
But maybe I am old fashioned and out of touch.

I also (perhaps foolishly) assumed the Open Source Arduino system would not allow itself to be smothered by “big business” nonsense including irrelevant secrecy about its interface with its customers.

I suspect won’t get a reply to this.
[/quote]

imho:
Customers are also central for the Arduino company, so you not old fashioned or out of touch regarding this point. But a company with customers is seldom a democracy, at least I can’t think of one. The closest I can think of is the Rabo-bank in the Netherlands. It is not commercial bank but an association/union of members, but it doesn’t tell their strategy to the members. The reason? They operate in a commercial market and public knowledge of strategy would lead to costly disadvantages. Note that the Rabo-bank gives back a substantial part of their profit to the local community e.g. to pay for social and cultural events, sport and play facilities for children etc, Because of this many people in the Netherlands became customer at this bank and/or member.

Arduino Is somewhat similar imho, they give a lot of their value for free to the community - open hardware and software - and make their money by providing prefabbed UNO’s etc. under the brand name Arduino. The Arduino team pays for the forum and create a community as part of their strategy to sell more Arduino’s . By giving to the community they created and strengthen their own market. A market in which besides themselves there are many companies doing good bizz by selling Arduino’s incl. clones/ additional sensors, electronics etc The Arduino team created a commercial landscape around open source hardware /SW in which their strategy is … uhm… strategic. So that can’t be public, just like the ban above.

I assume the Arduino team is well aware of several problems in the market, forum, website etc. I think they are smart enough to know that not fixing problems only makes them (at least relative) bigger. But the core team decides in which order and how they solve their business problems. Resources are limited just as in 99% of companies so choices (incl. strategic ones) must be made.

There is work in progress on upgrading the forum and as that is the core of the community (far more than the website imho) they are in fact investing in the community. Do not expect the core team to follow the forum posts every day but I have seen (occasionally) reactions of the core members in discussions. They do not differ in that fact from any other company,

I hope (with many others) that after the forum upgrade, the website will get more attention. Several people proposed in the past that some forum members (not necessarily the moderators) would get edit permission for the core website to fix errors and to elaborate articles tutorials etc. But in the end it is their website, so their choice, their strategy.

So in short, “Arduino need to be smothered by big business nonsense” to keep the eco-system they make their business with, alive and growing. Note I’m not saying the Arduino strategy is good or bad, but a necessity, it is part of how our economic system works, even with open source.

</personal opinion>

Rob, I couldn't tell it any better than you did

I understand that there must be a central core of decision makers and I realize that they may not always agree with my preferences.

I am not commenting on Arduino product strategy - or the choice of Logos or colour schemes.

My complaint is only about the absence of a mechanism for customer input regarding the features and facilities in this Forum. It could easily be satisfied if one of the senior Forum developers participates regularly in the Website and Forum section so that issues/bugs/improvements that we mention are seen to be noticed. And that person could also signpost plans for changes to the Forum software to get feedback from the users BEFORE the changes are implemented. I completely fail to see how this has anything to do with corporate strategy.

While the cost of hosting the forum and developing its software is borne by the Arduino "company" ALL of the content on the Forum is provided free-of-charge by the customers. And, it is my strong belief that the Forum is a key part of the overall attraction of the Arduino products.

How long would the Arduino continue to be an attractive product if the Forum was switched off?

...R

PS - the only reason I am pursuing this debate here is because Federico is the first person who seems to be close to the Arduino centre who has been kind enough to appear regularly on the Forum.

I feel very much the same as Robin2 expresses in his last post.

Especially this quote

Robin2:
PS - the only reason I am pursuing this debate here is because Federico is the first person who seems to be close to the Arduino centre who has been kind enough to appear regularly on the Forum.

Thanks for that Frederico.
Just like Robin2 I'm happy there is finally some regular response of the arduino core team. The non-responsiveness is a long lasting pain for many forum members. This is visible in the forum with comments like:

Ask the core team. But don't hold your breath.

I'm pretty sure many have (considered to) stop being active on the forum due to that.

Last time when there was some pressure we(= the forum members) got mad bob who visited us but that didn't last long.
I thought it was weird that he requested personal mails while there is a bugs section in the forum.

Och and "I don't know" or "I don't have an update" is better than silence. 8)

Best regards.
Jantje

I've just had a quick chat with my colleagues. I'm sure things will get much better over time. A senior developer is actively working on the forum and a bunch of problems should get solved automagically. All the remaining ones will be tackled one after the other.

Txs really appreciated.
Jantje

Thanks from me also, Federico.

Perhaps the Senior Developer could start participating in the Website and Forum section from tomorrow. I look forward to that.

And thanks for your support @Jantje

...R