Aquaponics Hydroponics Arduino - Grow Light Plug Adapter Turn Off/On

Hello All,
I am a middle school computer science teacher and I work with our science and math teachers to create an interdisciplinary project. I am looking for some help and support. Our students made an aquaponics system and are using Arduino to automate their system. We have grow lights and we taught the students that plants need to sleep (turn off the grow light) in order to grow the best. Do you have any ides as to how we can program an Arduino to control a grow light that plugs into a standard 110v outlet? Does Adafruit or another company sell an adapter where we can program the adapter that the grow light plugs into to turn off an on? This is an important part of the project that we haven’t figured out yet with the Arduino. Thank you very much for the help and support.
Sincerely,
Sascha

Hello All,
I am a middle school computer science teacher and I work with our science and math teachers to create an interdisciplinary project. I am looking for some help and support. Our students made an aquaponics system and are using Arduino to automate their system. We have grow lights and we taught the students that plants need to sleep (turn off the grow light) in order to grow the best. Do you have any ides as to how we can program an Arduino to control a grow light that plugs into a standard 110v outlet? Does Adafruit or another company sell an adapter where we can program the adapter that the grow light plugs into to turn off an on? This is an important part of the project that we haven’t figured out yet with the Arduino. Thank you very much for the help and support.
Sincerely,
Sascha

What is the power supplies to the grow lights? Line power (120, 220 VAC)? How much current?

There is the Power Switch Tail for 120VAC @ 15 Amps.

You could use a Solid State Relay, but that would require working with wiring for line voltages if that is what the lights use and should only be done by someone qualified to work with that.

And, of course, mechanical relays. They will need a simple MOSFET driver (and external power supply) to be controlled by an Arduino. Also requires care with wiring.

Wouldn't it be best to enquire about Adafruit products on the Adafruit website ?

AFAIK you can get modules that plug into a regular socket and allow a wireless (WiFi ?) signal to control whatever is plugged into the module. I don't know who makes them.

I guess you could program an Arduino to send a signal to the device at appropriate times. The ESP8266 modules can be programmed with the Arduino IDE and include WiFi.

In the UK and Ireland timers that plug into a wall socket are very common - no Arduino would be required.

...R

If you want to use an Arduino I suggest as Robin does to look for an existing project such as these and adapt it to your needs.

There are certainly plenty to choose from.

Bob.

Or more garden related projects

For safety in a school environment, I'd consider the Digital Loggers Iot Relay.

Widely available. Stocked at Adafruit, Sparkfun and Amazon.

Also from Digital Logger direct

squascha21:
we taught the students that plants need to sleep (turn off the grow light) in order to grow the best.

My literature research and direct experience tells me "it depends on the plant". Most don't seem to need the dark cycle at all, no need for a rest period. You could of course turn that part into a research program as well, it's a simple experiment: give one part light for 16-18 hours a day, another part 24 hours (do compensate brightness so they get the same total quantity of light per day!), and see what happens.

For the Arduino part, easiest to work with are relay modules. They have the required relay driver hardware in place already.

@squascha21
As a teacher I would expect you to learn a little !

TOPIC MERGED.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum.