Aquarium LED light controller

I'm wanting to make an LED setup for an aquarium. I'm thinking about using an Arduino to be the controller, but I can't find any of the specs on the website so I can't be sure if the Arduino will do everything I need.

I want to have the same lighting schedule every day, so it would go on a 24-hour repeat. Doing something like this shouldn't be a problem from what I've seen.

I want to have four separate channels, I could possibly get by with three, but I'd really like to have four.

I have no idea what kind of outputs the Arduino has -- does it support PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)? I'm thinking this would be the best way to control the brightness since I would like to have fade in/fade out capabilities -- I could just slowly increase the duty cycle over the course of 30-60 minutes. If so, does it have four separate pins I could use for outputs? What are the output voltages/other specs for these pins?

I have my eyes on some LED strips that were made to put into a car (ie, plug into the 12V DC cigarette lighter thing), and I was thinking about using a BuckPuck or something similar to drive those LEDs, but that hardware hasn't been bought yet so it's still flexible.

Is this project feasible with an Arduino? Thanks in advance for your help,

-Adam Horton

but I can't find any of the specs on the website

Now you haven't looked have you.

I have no idea what kind of outputs the Arduino has

TTL logic levels - there that's a surprise just like 99% of all electronic micro controllers.

does it support PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)?

yes

If so, does it have four separate pins I could use for outputs?

yes

What are the output voltages/other specs for these pins?

TTL logic levels.

Is this project feasible with an Arduino?

Yes and one google search would net you lots of hits from people having done the same project.

I spent an hour on arduino.cc and another hour with google trying to find a similar project, and trying to find out what the specs on the Arduino are. Excuse me if I didn't have the right combination of keywords, but you don't need to be rude about it.

Every microcontroller I've ever used only has a fixed number of output pins that support PWM, which is why I asked.

Seems like my project is feasable. Thanks for answering my question. I hope it comes with datasheets/instructions, since even though you've given me crap for not having looked, I still don't know where to find that information.

I spent an hour on arduino.cc

On the Arduino home page, there is a Hardware link. Click that, and every official Arduino is shown. Click the one that you have, or are planning to get. All of the details about the hardware are shown there, including the number of PWM pins.

I hope it comes with datasheets/instructions

It doesn't. Everything is online.

I still don't know where to find that information.

Now, you do.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

but you don't need to be rude about it.

Ah but I do sorry, check out the name.

Try this