Archery Sight for visually impaired archers

Years ago I taught archery at a local shop that had a guy come up with developed an archery bow sight for the blind. It worked by having a bright light on top of the target and a device mounted on the bow that would emit a varying pitch as the archer was closer or further to the light. The device could be moved like a traditional bow sight. This works great for indoors, but not for outdoors with longer distances.

Enter the 21st century. I’m now thinking of something more sophisticated, such as a device that could see the color rings of a standard 5 color ring target at a distance of 30-50 yards or possibly a different light source???

Any thoughts on this??

Robert

Nowadays a camera and image processing software can help in doing what you want.

Else I don't see how a single light source allows to determine a horizontal and vertical deviation at the same time. IMO a sensor grid is required therefore, like in a PIR or mouse sensor.

IR remote control e.g. uses a carrier frequency (~40kHz) to distinguish the beacon from ambient light. There exist RC receivers which handle the detection of such a signal, but they only distinguish on and off, not a grade.

light reflective target, laser sight.
auto-release when the signal is at maximum.

dave-in-nj:
light reflective target, laser sight.
auto-release when the signal is at maximum.

Dangerous and where is the fun in that. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

@DrDiettrich idea seems the easier with the current technology, some optics work involved but do-able.

Tom… :slight_smile: