Arduin core for atxmega64a4u ?

I'm working on a design for a 3D printer controller. l was planning to use the atmega32u4 and make the design compatible with Arduino Leonardo so that users can easily modify the software. The atmega32u4 provides a built-in USB interface (which will be used for programming) and a serial interface (which will be used to communicate with the printer). However, the TFT display driver and associated font take up most of the available flash memory. So I could do with a larger processor.

There doesn't appear to be a larger processor in the same range as the atmega32u4, but the atxmega64a4u looks suitable from a hardware perspective. Does anyone know of an Arduino core for this processor, or for any other processors in the atxmega range?

I’ve been using an ATxmega32A4 board from Akafugu.jp. It’s an Arduino compatible board. http://www.akafugu.jp/posts/products/akafuino_x/, unfortunately they won’t be making any more boards.

Xmega core for Arduino IDE v1.5.x:

This core also has support for the ATxmega128A1 (128K Flash, 8K RAM, 78 I/O, 32MHz) board from SparkFun:

Thanks hiduino, nice to know that there is an atxmega Arduino core. I guess I need to look at how difficult it would be to add the USB support for the -A4U chips.

In the meantime, I'll carry on trying to squeeze my program into the atmega32u4. The USB code seems to be taking up several K of space in the Leonardo core, and as I only want the USB interface for bootloading, perhaps I can get rid of it.

dc42:
The USB code seems to be taking up several K of space in the Leonardo core, and as I only want the USB interface for bootloading, perhaps I can get rid of it.

Maybe you could consider Crossroads Bobuino instead for the extra I/O pins and use a FTDI breakout board like this (though cheaper eBay ones available) for programming.

dc42:
In the meantime, I'll carry on trying to squeeze my program into the atmega32u4. The USB code seems to be taking up several K of space in the Leonardo core, and as I only want the USB interface for bootloading, perhaps I can get rid of it.

So you are not using the USB for serial communication? You can get rid of about 4K of USB core code that is normally part of the sketch. Others have done it before, but don't recall the details. But keep in mind, when you remove the USB code from the sketch then you will need to manually reset the 32U4 to upload using the bootloader.

dc42:
The USB code seems to be taking up several K of space in the Leonardo core, and as I only want the USB interface for bootloading, perhaps I can get rid of it.

Have you tried the Teensy core / Teensy bootloader?

You will probably have to make your own pin mapping.