arduino 0009 bootloader burn

I’m interested in the new burn bootloader feature in the 0009 IDE and I was wondering whether it would work with any usb ISP or just ones made by atmel. (limor’s brilliant ‘USBtinyISP’ for example)
Thanks,
Macmaniac :slight_smile:

Right now, it should work with most things that are supported by avrdude. To configure it, see: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader. Unfortunately, the USBtinyISP requires some patches to avrdude, so it doesn’t work with Arudino 0009 out of the box (you might be able to replace the avrdude that comes with Arduino 0009 with Limor’s, though). Since, however, we’re already using a custom version of avrdude in Arduino 0009, it shouldn’t be too hard to add support for the USBtinyISP. I’m hoping to find a way to work with Limor to make that happen for Arduino 0010.

Thanks for the quick reply!! If I wanted to make the patches to the source, how could the arduino version of avrdude be modified (i.e, where is it?) If it makes a difference, I’m using a mac.

You can get the source with:
svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/arduino/avrdude-5.4-arduino

Or browse it online at:

There are actually very few differences from the standard avrdude-5.4 code - I disabled sync’ing at the start of stk500v2 protocol if you’re talking to an avrisp mkii (since it took minutes on my Mac) and switched to using the specific “read device signature” command of stk500 (instead of reading the device signature with the “universal spi command” which our bootloader doesn’t support). And the Windows version was modified to set the dtr() line when the serial port is opened.

thanks, I’ll see what I can do with that