arduino-0013 IDE and Acer Aspire One Netbook

Anyone having tried arduino on the Aspire One? It it not working for me. The linux os is derived from Redhat I have this output:

[user@localhost ~]$ java -version java version "1.6.0_10" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)

[user@localhost arduino-0013-linux2]$ ./arduino Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: processing/app/Base Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: processing.app.Base at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source) Could not find the main class: processing.app.Base. Program will exit.

[user@localhost arduino-0013-linux2]$ echo $CLASSPATH .:/usr/java/java/

$JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/java/"

I have an Acer Aspire One, running Windows XP Home, and arduino-0013 will not run on mine either.

I launch the executable but nothing happens. The process is not left running. I do not find any event or error logs.

no offense but it is not an "Acer Aspire One" problem. I have an AAO and it works aok. One of you is using Linux and the other is using XP home, the problems can not be related just because of the fact you both have the same hardware. I have found the AAO to be the same as any other Intel laptop. Make sure you follow the required installation steps including any required additional software.

My only complaint with netbooks is the small screen size/resolution. The '600' is limiting.

I havnt got the kit you have so Im no expert. Have you checked the java version you have is the latest.

Gordon

I am much further now!
I did unpack the first package with a program called Xarchiver. It didn’t do its job correctly so that’s why nothing was working.
So I manually unpacked with
tar -zxvf
and I am up and running.
I am getting a new error:
Could not determine program size: avr-size
‘/tmp/build57306.tmp/Blink.hex’ No such file
This is very true. The file is called Blink.elf
Why is that?

If I change the board I get a lot of errors. I am using the Duodecimila. Here is the output:

/home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/Print.h:32: warning: 'class Print' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Client.h:6: warning: 'class Client' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Server.h:12: warning: 'class Server' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Client.h:6: warning: alignment of 'Client::_ZTV6Client' is greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 1 /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/Print.h:32: warning: 'class Print' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Client.h:6: warning: 'class Client' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Server.h:12: warning: 'class Server' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Server.cpp:80:2: warning: no newline at end of file /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/Print.h:32: warning: 'class Print' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Client.h:6: warning: 'class Client' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Server.h:12: warning: 'class Server' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor Server.h:12: warning: alignment of 'Server::_ZTV6Server' is greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 1 In file included from Firmata.cpp:17: /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/WProgram.h:29:7: warning: no newline at end of file In file included from Firmata.h:16, from Firmata.cpp:19: /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/WProgram.h:29:7: warning: no newline at end of file /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/Print.h:32: warning: 'class Print' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.h:28: warning: 'class HardwareSerial' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor In file included from LiquidCrystal.cpp:6: /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/WProgram.h:29:7: warning: no newline at end of file /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/Print.h:32: warning: 'class Print' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor LiquidCrystal.h:7: warning: 'class LiquidCrystal' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.h:28: warning: 'class HardwareSerial' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor LiquidCrystal.h:7: warning: alignment of 'LiquidCrystal::_ZTV13LiquidCrystal' is greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 1 In file included from Stepper.cpp:48: /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/WProgram.h:29:7: warning: no newline at end of file /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/Print.h:32: warning: 'class Print' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor /home/user/Downloads/arduino-0013/hardware/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.h:28: warning: 'class HardwareSerial' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor

Claus: those are just warning. Everything should work okay anyway.

I am up and running the IDE. But I have trouble with the compiler. I end up with an .elf-file in stead of the needed .hex-file. What am I missing?

So I have the problem that it is not a hex-file which is the result of the compiling. And another thing: After creating a new rule on udev I get a /dev/ttyUSB0 but the IDE doesn’t see it - why?

The java library RXTX (used by Arduino to communicate with the boards) is coded to only pick up /dev/ttyUSB* devices for USB - Serial ports.

Thank you for that information! That gives me a path to debug from. I was using IcedTea java. Maybe if I shift to Sun java it will help.