arduino-0021 and Fedora 14 bug

Hi,

I am using Fedora 14 and I have tried to use the arduino software (17 and 21) to write/upload and use the serial monitor. I have tried both the downloadable packages from arduino.cc and Fedroa's arduino-0021-1.fc14. I receive the error:

check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.

and am unable to access the serial port from the software.

I have followed the directions given in the linux Fedora install page on the wiki.

The root cause of this problem is that /var/lock's group is root instead of lock and is only user writable.

There is a bugzilla report for this problem - #650849 and the bug report that talks about the /var/lock permission change in Fedora 14 is #581884

At this point, it does not look like Fedora will be making the change back - so at this point, the only way to use the arduino program is either to run the program as root, or change the group of /var/lock to lock and make it group writable.

If you would like links to the bugzilla pages themselves - I can post them in a separate message.

To me it doesn't sound like the Arduino software is at all at fault. How does Fedora expect users to do anything if /var/lock is owned by root and only user-writeable?

I think your group-writeable workaround is probably the best bet until this gets sorted out on Fedora's end.

-- The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, light sensor, potentiometers, pushbuttons

Is your user account a member of the wheel group, and/or any other group related to being able to dial up using a modem (wheel alone might still not give that permission to a user).

If it were purely down to /var/lock permissions being root:root, then you wouldn't be able to run any program that required making a lock file when run as a user (good point — check whether you are able to run any program at all).

Hi, I think it's slightly more complex. On a RHEL5 distribution, /var/lock contains: ls -l /var/lock/ total 24 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 30 2010 dmraid -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 31 15:02 irqbalance drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Oct 31 15:02 lvm drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 11 04:02 subsys

but on Fedora 14, I have: local/ lock/ [bregeon@netbregeon ~]$ ls -l /var/lock total 24 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Sep 20 23:02 dmraid drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Jul 22 04:03 iscsi drwxrwxr-x 2 root lock 4096 Nov 11 09:37 lockdev drwx------. 2 root root 4096 Oct 15 20:58 lvm drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Nov 11 10:47 subsys drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Nov 11 09:36 xemacs

As you can see there is a new sub directory called "lockdev" that is part of the "lock" group. My understanding is that programs like arduino are expected not to write in /var/lock anymore but in /var/lock/lockdev instead.

For now, in my configuration, I have just changed the group of /var/lock to lock, as proposed in the previous post. If I can find time I may try to have arduino use /var/lock/lockdev instead of /var/lock to see if that works.

Thanks for that thread ! Johan

As the above-referenced bug mentions, if you use the Fedora package, this is fixed in rxtx-2.2-0.3.20100211.fc14. This update is currently in testing, and can be installed with:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update rxtx

If you use arduino-0021.tgz, this bundles its own version of RXTX, so you're on your own.

I had the same problem. The fixed version of rxtx package will be released soon, the unsigned package is available via Koji Web.

I wrote my setup information following web page. :D

https://sites.google.com/a/lyz.jp/arduino/about-arduino/arduino-setup-for-fedora14

The fixed version of rxtx package will be released soon, the unsigned package is available via Koji Web.

If you're keen to see the update released, you can log in at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/rxtx-2.2-0.3.20100211.fc14 and leave positive feedback (assuming, of course, that the update does indeed work for you -- if not, you should leave negative feedback!).

I decided to post this here, instead of another thread.

On my fedora 14 install I have a few extra software packages that want to use the USB-serial device. Anyway, long story said the short way:

The kernel does a fine job of finding and setting up the USB serial port for the ftdi chip on the arduinos; whereas udev gets totally in the way.

As root(you all knew that was coming:) go to /etc/udev and mkdir saved-rules(or whatever you want). Then go to /etc/udev/rules.d and mv the rules that try to grab the usb-serial port over to the new directory(/etc/udev/saved-rules in my case).

I had to move “99-gpsd.rules” and “99-libftdi.rules” out of rules.d/ to get the arduino ide to act normal again. I also moved “97-bluetooth-serial.rules” for good measure(until needed of course).

If you're keen to see the update released, you can log in at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/rxtx-2.2-0.3.20100211.fc14 and leave positive feedback (assuming, of course, that the update does indeed work for you -- if not, you should leave negative feedback!).

I'm very late for creating account on fedora project, but I left a message of success with Arduino Duemilanove 328 connected on USB port.

Hi all,

I would like to confirm that the rxtx package (2.2-0.3.20100211.fc14) for FC14 now allows me to program and work the serial monitor on a Duemilanove 328.

I was also able to get the arduino-0021 standard package working with this version of RXTX (by overriding the classpath and library path)

Thank you all for your other ideas on getting it working!

Hopefully - this fix will be continued with later versions of rxtx for Fedora - or possibly as another place to check for locking...

Now fixed version of rxtx-2.2-0.3.2010.fc14 is released on 'update' repository of Fedora 14 and available with: yum check-update yum update rxtx