Arduino-0022 compile problem

I just got my first Arduino UNO a few days ago and already I'm running into problems. I have the Arduino UNO and my OS is Windows Vista (home premium, SP2). I was following the getting started guide without a hitch, until I tried to upload the "blink" example to the board and got an error message. I tried simply compiling it without the board attached and I got the same error:

C:\Program Files\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -IC:\Program Files\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino C:\Users\Hobert\build6461110745181539189.tmp\Blink.cpp -oC:\Users\Hobert\build6461110745181539189.tmp\Blink.cpp.o 

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
C:\Program Files\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ returned 255

If you need any more info, let me know. Hopefully someone out there knows what's wrong...

32 bit OS? Try reinstalling Arduino. If that fails, try installing winavr and coping avr-g++ over from the winavr directory to the arduino bin directory (not 100% sure that will work).

Yes, 32bit.
I tried both suggestions and even tried replacing the entire avr folder in Arduino with the newest Winavr, but none of that worked. I would get the same error message every time.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Windows is foo'd up or you have computer hardware problem. Can you download and run memtest86+? You may be able to run the Arduinno software on Linux or Windows in virtualbox.