Arduino 0022 not working at all on Windows 7 64 bit... Please help!

Hello,

Cool, I just received my Arduino Uno XD! I downloaded the latest Arduino software (0022) and installed the driver (everything looks OK in the device manager). When I start the arduino software (arduino.exe), it looks OK for a few seconds, then my whole computer freezes and the graphic driver crashes. After one second of black screen, my desktop comes back and I have an error message like “AMD graphic driver was not responding anymore and has been recovered” (this is a translation from french) :~. I tried to update the graphic driver, the Java plateform (actually, I don’t even know if Arduino uses it) and downloaded the Arduino software another time, nothing works =(. The problem is exactly the same if the arduino board is plugged or if it’s not.
Does somebody have an idea of how to solve my problem? You can find some specifications of my system below.

Thanks for your help

1. 8)
  • Core 2 Duo E8500 + 8 Go DDR3
  • Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770
  • Java 1.6u27 x86 & x64 + Java 1.7 x86 & x64 installed

Does Winblows7 still have 'safe mode'?

If so try it with that and see if it works. I wouldn't know why or how starting an ordinary application would be able to crash a graphics driver (that isn't bug ridden).

Does your system behave erratically when e.g. playing games / running 3D intensive apps?

madworm:
Does Winblows7 still have ‘safe mode’?
If so try it with that and see if it works.

Hmmm, yeah, I’m gonna try that (as soon as I can, I have background tasks I can’t stop right now). But even if it works, I have to admit I’d like to find a more… “practical” way to work with my Arduino :P. Maybe I’ll end up working with my laptop (running on Ubuntu 11.04 x64).

madworm:
I wouldn’t know why or how starting an ordinary application would be able to crash a graphics driver (that isn’t bug ridden).

Me neither!!! All I can see is a Java bug or something like that. But what I really don’t understand is why am I the only one having this problem (I googled 1/2 hour and I didn’t find anything) :astonished:

madworm:
Does your system behave erratically when e.g. playing games / running 3D intensive apps?

Definitely not. I run some recent games on my computer (mostly all the Assassin’s Creed with maximum graphic options) and everything is fine.

Thanks for your idea, I’ll let you know

1. 8)

Works like a charm in less than 2 minutes on Ubuntu 11.04 x64…
I don’t like to say it but sometimes I have to : “F*** Windows!!!” ]:smiley:

But if somebody has an idea to solve my problem, I’m still looking for it :wink:

1. 8)

LeToC: Works like a charm in less than 2 minutes on Ubuntu 11.04 x64... I don't like to say it but sometimes I have to : "F*** Windows!!!" ]:D

YMMD !

Works fine on my Win7 64bit. You might try Win restore to an earlier date.

Hmmm. Can Win7 do a restore to XP as well ]:D

Maybe the version of launch4j is the problem. Earlier versions had a problem with the 64 bit version.

Changes in version 3.0.0 (16-03-2008)

FR #1390075 Added dynamic initial/max heap values. FR #1707827 Allow to prefer JDK private runtimes over JREs (Ian Roberts). FR #1730245 Allow to run only a single aplication instance (Sylvain Mina). FR #1391610 Added IBM JRE/JDK support. Added environment variable expansion in bundled JRE path. Fixed critical bug #1882524 JRE detection problem on 64-bit Windows. Fixed bug #1758912 Vista elevation to full administrator privileges. Fixed bug #1784341 Problems with spaces in paths under linux (Michael Piefel). Fixed bug where /bin was appended to path environment variable instead of jre_path/bin.