Arduino 1.0.1 causes Mac OS X to crash regularly. Ideas?

dpharris:
“JSSC has been released wih 1.5.6, this problem should be fixed now.”

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have the same problems once in a while when uploading a sketch from my iMac (Mid 2010) to an (official) Arduino UNO (Rev 3) board. What do I have to do? Do I need to switch from version 1.0.1 of the IDE to version 1.5.6? As I already installed this a couple of months ago - do I have to re-install it? Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hj

My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported in this thread. After suffering a couple of computer crashes today, I upgraded to Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2. So far, I haven't been able to provoke any crashes.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=123901.msg931448#msg931448 date=1348285971] People would be screaming if the normal Arduino IDE crashed the entire computer every hour. It just doesn't. [/quote]

I'm running a Sunfounder Mega 2560 using Arduino 1.0.5 on my Mac (Mavericks) and I've crashed my system twice this morning when clicking to upload to the arduino. :(

I continue to have crashes on my Mac Book Pro with Arduino and Energia -- these occur when my program generates too much serial traffic. Perhaps I should try a third party terminal program instead of the IDE one.

David

Adding to this thread. My behavior on my MacBookPro is that if I use the Arduino then at some point in the next 24 hours, it'll reboot the mac. It's usually when I'm away from the mac and it's in sleep mode, but when I return to it then it shows the lovely "your system rebooted because of a problem."

Went searching here for an answer, but it looks like it's only affecting a small number of folks and it doesn't seem to be the same behavior on everyone's system.

It's not stopping me from enjoying the Arduino or my mac, but I've been bitten by not having my Arduino code saved. Command-S is so 2000s... LOL. Anyway, I was curious if it was something in the USB to Arduino communications since I've heard that those drivers have DMA access for speed. And anything with DMA access could ruin any OSs day. I'm not saying that this is what's happening - just my thoughts based on the behavior.

Anyway, no need for a reply. I'm just adding another instance to the ref ct and moving on with my business.

I would first like to say I almost skipped reading this post with the Subject showing Arduino 1.0.1, as I have no need for the older version. Add to that the fact I have seen no issues on my MAC desktop.

So reading just to satisfy curiosity, I am glad I did as I was contemplating buying a MACBook Pro or Air so I could move my projects off my MAC computer desk to the work bench.

If read correctly in the post it seems the issues are more with MACBook then OS X?

Is this issue still occurring?

Would a re-posting of the subject to reflect Arduino IDE causes MACBook vs OS X crashes open up the subject to more users with issues?

Again I am in the mode to purchase a new or used MACBook Pro or Air for the bench, so do not want to get headaches if the issue lay in a specific hardware frame.

Hi,

Is it a solution to this issue to this very annoying issue?

My MAC version is 10.9.5 (I had no problem before upgrading to Mavericks) and I am using Arduino IDE 1.06.

The crash occurs randomly (after few minutes or after few hours).

It looks that it has nothing to do with the FTDI driver (I did the update), the crash occurs while editing a sketch, not loading the image.

Robert

I'm on Mac OS X 10.10 and FTDI 2.3 and I get random crashes, usually when I'm unplugging the board (three times today!). It started when I upgraded to 10.10, but in all honesty, I may have loaded the driver around the same time. Arduino would not "see" my red board without adding the driver, whereas a Uno worked fine. All the badness started after adding the drivers - never had a crash before in 3 years on this machine.

MBP Mid-2012, Retina.

Any fix to this?

-Tom