Arduino 1.0 & Com Ports

I am having trouble getting Arduino 1.0 to recognize my “serial port”.

When I start Arduino 1.0, and pull down the “Tools” menu the Serial Port is grayed out. (?)

I checked my device drivers and I see that COM3 is manufacturer is arduino.cc ; the error message is :
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Window 7

On a Gigabyte 2.8gHz motherboard with 1 Meg of RAM.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a driver or a hardware problem. What board are you using?

I am using an Arduino Uno R3.

Did you install the INF file in the installer folder?

I have this same problem on Fedora15.

Here are the specifics: 1. I can run Arduino 0.22 from the Fedora archives just fine. I can compile example/blink and upload it into an Arduino Uno Rev3. 2. I downloaded Arduino 1.00 and unpacked it in it's own directory. I ran it "./arduino &". It will compile example/blink. But it will not upload it. The menu item tools->serial-port is grayed out. So no luck there.

I read here: arduino-1.0/reference/Guide_Troubleshooting.html This bit of wisdom:

If, however, you're using the RXTX package from your (Linux) distribution, you may need to symlink from /dev/ttyACM0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 (for example) so that the serial port appears in the Arduino software.

So I did "ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyUSB0" and restarted Arduino 1.0. Still no luck. The menu item tools->serial-port is still grayed out.

Is the Linux distribution of Arduino 1.0 broken out of the starting gate?

-thanks

st2000: I have this same problem on Fedora15.

Here are the specifics: 1. I can run Arduino 0.22 from the Fedora archives just fine. I can compile example/blink and upload it into an Arduino Uno Rev3. 2. I downloaded Arduino 1.00 and unpacked it in it's own directory. I ran it "./arduino &". It will compile example/blink. But it will not upload it. The menu item tools->serial-port is grayed out. So no luck there.

I read here: arduino-1.0/reference/Guide_Troubleshooting.html This bit of wisdom:

If, however, you're using the RXTX package from your (Linux) distribution, you may need to symlink from /dev/ttyACM0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 (for example) so that the serial port appears in the Arduino software.

So I did "ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyUSB0" and restarted Arduino 1.0. Still no luck. The menu item tools->serial-port is still grayed out.

Is the Linux distribution of Arduino 1.0 broken out of the starting gate?

-thanks

This should be in a separate thread, but try running it as root. If that works, you have to make sure you're in the group that /dev/ttyACM0 is (I forget what it's called).

Yes, I thought about a 2nd thread (i.e. Windows vs Linux) but the title of the current thread was so vague, well it could have been the same, which would have been confusing, if possible.

Hum, running as root worked. Now how's that possible. The user account belongs to the same group as the owner of the serial port for the arduino. This doesn't make sense.

Same problem here, albeit with an Uno and arduino 1.0.5 - Tools > Serial port is greyed out. Symlinking with ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyUSB0 doesn’t seem to have helped. Running arduino as root does; so does running sudo chgrp uucp /dev/ttyACM0 before I run arduino, but its group goes back to ‘dialout’ every time I unplug it. I tried adding myself to the group, but for some reason the menu option is still greyed out after that.

I first wrote that the symlinking didn’t make any difference, but that’s not quite true - I now get two options under ‘Serial port’ when I run arduino in such a way that it’s not greyed out.

Incidentally, chgrp also allows me to access the board from Processing. But I shouldn’t need to have to do that every time, should I?