arduino 1.0 in ubuntu doens't works

Hi!

I am using xubuntu 11.10. I was using ide 0022 because using apt-get, it is the last version I can download.

I tried to download 1.0 32 bits version but I can't execute it. If I try the same with 64 bits, I can execute it and compile programs.

But, when I try to upload to arduino, it always says Error opening serial port 'name of the port'.

I need to use 1.0 because I am going to start to use arduino ethernet and I can't upload code from 0022 to that board...

Any solution? Is possible to do this in debian? I can delete ubuntu and setup debian instead.

edit: Well... now it seems that arduino 0022 can't upload to any board too. I don't know what happened, I just untar the ide 1.0 file and everything start go wrong.

I use Ubuntu 11.10 and IDE v1.0, and it work ok for me. I installed v0022 from the Ubuntu repository (using the Ubuntu package manager) to get the latest updates to avr-gcc and avr-libc. Then the IDE worked ok.

Did you download the Arduino IDE v0022 from the Ubuntu repository?

What entries does your Serial Port selection drop-down show?

I downloaded 0022 from ubuntu repository. It worked fine untill this morning I tried to set up 1.0

About SerialPort selection drop-down, do you mean in arduino? 0022 and 1.0 shows correct usb ports, but when I try to upload both tell they can't.

I meant in the IDE Tools/Serial Port menu.

I'm not sure what you did to "install" v1.0. I downloaded v1.0 from the Arduino site, and unpacked it into a local directory. Then I run the arduino shell script in that directory to run v1.0. If I use the Arduino icon in the programs menu, it runs v0022.

Both work.

What error message do you get when you try to upload?

SurferTim:
I meant in the IDE Tools/Serial Port menu.

I'm not sure what you did to "install" v1.0. I downloaded v1.0 from the Arduino site, and unpacked it into a local directory. Then I run the arduino shell script in that directory to run v1.0. If I use the Arduino icon in the programs menu, it runs v0022.

Both work.

What error message do you get when you try to upload?

I mean the same as you, unpack it. It works as my ubuntu. With icon, runs 0022.

Ide tells: Error opening serial port 'name of the port' (I tried with 3 differents ports, it says different name in each, 0..1..2.. etc)

Ide tells: Error opening serial port 'name of the port' (I tried with 3 differents ports, it says different name in each, 0..1..2.. etc)

There is no "name of the serial port" serial port in Ubuntu. It should be something like ttyACM0. Check you /dev/ directory and see if that serial port shows up when the Arduino is plugged in.

Yes yes, something like ttyACM0, ttyUSB0... depending about the cable I used (big usb, small usb..) I put "name of the port" refering that.

So those ports show in your Serial Port menu? And not greyed out?

Do you have the correct groups included on your user? Seems kinda funny that it just started like that if that were the problem. From a command prompt enter
groups

Your groups should include dialout and uucp. If those are not there, you should add those to your user. Some say logging in and out will reset your groups, but I reboot just to make sure.

And you have selected the correct board under Tools in the IDE?

I don't know what happened. I install and uninstall 3 or 4 times ide 0022 and now it works again... 1.0 too.

I don't know, linux everyday surprises me.

Thanks for your help!

I still have problems.

I am trying to use an arduino ethernet.
I connect it to pc using usb2serial converter device. usb2serial and arduino board switch on ON led.

Firstly, pc detected usb pluged. In linux and windows. In windows I installed drivers and arduino says: “arduino ethernet on com3”

But, when I try to upload anything, ide says:

processing.app.SerialNotFoundException: Serial port 'COM3' not found.  Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
	at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:153)
	at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:76)
	at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:75)
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:88)
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:66)
	at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1664)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1624)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1578)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2314)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

com3 doesn’t appear in Serial port menu.

The first time, after installing drivers, com3 was shown there but not anymore.

I tried with ftdi sparkfun board too and same problem.

Do I have to upload anything? I choose arduino ethernet on boards but nothing happends.

Other boards as fio or uno, work fine.

I upload new bootloader reading this post: http://scuola.arduino.cc/en/content/upgrade-arduino-ethernet-bootloader-latest-version

Now it works fine with ftdi from sparkfun. I could try blinck example (changing 13 pin by 9 pin) But with usb2serial it doesn't work.

Any idea about that? It just works as power supply....

I think the problem is related to usb recognition. Firstly it recognize usb2serial as ttyUSB0 but, when I push upload, it says it is ttyACM0 and it doesn't appear. From Serial port, I can't choose any port in this moment.