Arduino 1.6.5

Is anyone else having problems with this version regularly crashing while compiling? I.E. Such that it asks you if you want to send an error report.

I can't even compile the IRRemote examples.

I have given up on this version and going back to some of the previous versions - as far as it takes until I can compile the IRRemote examples.

yes here the same problems.
but which version you going to take ???

I stayed with 1.06, no need to go to 1.6X

Operating system?

I gave up on 1.6.5 It couldn't find any libraries. I wondered if it was because I use XP. I upgraded to 1.5.6. -r2, which is fine.

Nick_Pyner:
I gave up on 1.6.5 It couldn't find any libraries. I wondered if it was because I use XP. I upgraded to 1.5.6. -r2, which is fine.

I find it interesting that one using an obsolete operating system needs to be using the latest version of the IDE.

The need, real or imagined, to use the latest IDE has nothing to do with the operating system and everything to do with how the IDE operates -which is not that well. A constructive comment on whether the O/S might have anything to do with that would be appreciated. As it is, I wouldn't really have thought so, there is no evidence, and I'm just speculating. I am looking for somebody who has similar experience, as I'm not too inclined to reinstall Windows 8, only to find it doesn't fix the problem.

I'm using 1.6.5 with Win 7 without problems...at least I haven't had one yet.

econjack:
I'm using 1.6.5 with Win 7 without problems...at least I haven't had one yet.

Same here. Some libraries had to be updated, but that was easy.

aarg:
Some libraries had to be updated,

Well that's interesting. All my grief was with libraries. It said it couldn't find them, but maybe it just refused to look at them. Is there a list of libraries that are not kosher with v1.6.5?

Only problem im encounter in 1.6.5 version is if i change things on sketch and i close dont asks me if i want to save, and that a problem :frowning:
other then that all works ok

meph328:
Only problem im encounter in 1.6.5 version is if i change things on sketch and i close dont asks me if i want to save, and that a problem :frowning:
other then that all works ok

A minor problem - EVERY application since PC were introduced checked the file "dirty" flag to give the user option to save it.
So 1.6.5 is an exception (!) , or does it save the updated file automatically ?

A minor problem - EVERY application since PC were introduced checked the file "dirty" flag to give the user option to save it.
So 1.6.5 is an exception (!) , or does it save the updated file automatically ?

Older versions of the IDE compiled and linked the edited code, without saving it. The advantage to this was that you could open a file, try some stuff, and abandon the changed version, if you were going down the wrong bunny trail. Saving the contents of memory automatically, like Visual Studio does, makes that impossible.

The disadvantage of not saving every time means that there is a potential to lose changes, if YOU forget to save working snapshots.

In later versions, (I don't know when the change was made), the IDE saves every time you compile.

Forcing you to choose whether to save, or not, when you close the IDE makes more sense to me.

In later versions, (I don't know when the change was made), the IDE saves every time you compile.

That sounds very naughty. I often make changes to code that I regret and I am glad of the opportunity to go back to the previous version without the need to have remembered to do a file/save as before compiling. If the automatic save gave the files a different name, perhaps based on date and time, then it would, perhaps, be useful.

As a matter of interest, does the automatic save before compile mechanism work with the examples in the IDE because on my Windows 7 installation they are in a read only directory and can not be saved with the same name in the same location even if you choose to.