Arduino 1.6.8 upload problems

Arduino 1.6.8 worked great for a day but suddenly I can’t upload. The error message is go to the troubleshooting guide. One of the solutions is to check my drivers. The guide explains how to do this in Windows but I am on a Mac with El Capitan for OS X. Why I think it might be my drivers is I suddenly have many more serial ports available but none of them work and there is a special mega port that shows up intermittently but it does not work either. I am using an Arduino Mega.

I used to only get one extra serial port besides the usual Apple ports now I have many and have tried them all.

Why haven't you posted the errors?

Sorry- I thought I had "The error message is go to the troubleshooting guide"

After the aforementioned problem I tried to remove all Arduino and Edison apps to reload an older IDE version but now every time I try to open a new download I get this error "“Arduino.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

I have searched all my files and deleted any Arduino reference but good old Apple leaves us somewhat restricted as to what files we can see.

When uploading, and it fails, copy and paste the entire error message from the bottom of the IDE. I know there is more than one line.

Sorry - I should have understood you reply but I wasn't thinking. Anyway - I can't post the code because now I can not open any of the Arduino code zip's because my Apple computer apparently has some left over junk from prior installations that I can not find. I am now locked out of playing with Arduino.

Sorry - downloading a new Arduino IDE problem fixed by the universal fix “restart the computer”
I downloaded version 1.6.5 which I was working but I still get the error when trying to upload a sketch to my Arduino so we know it was not a problem with the new IDE. The error messages are:

Sketch uses 10,166 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 601 bytes (7%) of dynamic memory, leaving 7,591 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “/dev/cu.usbmodem24321”: No such file or directory
ioctl(“TIOCMGET”): Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl(“TIOCMGET”): Inappropriate ioctl for device
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Bad file descriptor
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
Invalid library found in /Users/sydneydeem/Documents/Arduino/libraries/arduino: Missing ‘author’ from library
Invalid library found in /Users/sydneydeem/Documents/Arduino/libraries/arduino: Missing ‘author’ from library

I tried all the ports that showed up not apple related but get similar message,

Yeah, sounds like some weird mac driver bullshit.

Wrong port selected - correct port may not be appearing at all.

I think I have too much left over stuff from downloading Arduino IDEs. I found a considerable list of Arduino related files (could not recognize anything that looked like a driver file) in the Library directory, many of which were duplicates probably because I had also tried sometime ago to run an Edison Arduino (with no luck). These files are left over even though I trash the Arduino IDE.

So long as I save all my sketches why would it not be smart to delete any Arduino library file associated with Arduino to clear out history and then download a fresh Arduino IDE? What would I lose or miss?

Some place I have a corrupted Arduino file.

Problem solved by "OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or above: Download this driver. Locate the file FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_3.dmg file that was downloaded to your computer, and double click on it to open \ run it."