Arduino-1.8.8 already installed

Need to move my install to a different directory structure. I make the mistake of just deleting the whole Arduino-1.8.8 directory then trying to reinstall to restore the default file structure. Now it won't let my me!

How to fix this???

Restore the deleted directory from the recycle bin and then do a real uninstall.

I had already emptied the recycle bin. Where does the compiler look to determine that it is already installed?

Assuming you use Windows, registry?

Specifically, what values in the registry can safely be changed?

As a workaround, you can use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" download from:

To install that version, you only need to unzip the downloaded file. You can move the unzipped folder anywhere you want. To uninstall that version, you just delete the folder.

If you still need to use the installer version, let me know and I'll investigate what can be done to resolve your situation.

DennisZ:
Specifically, what values in the registry can safely be changed?

If I go the route of registry, I would remove anything that refers to Arduino.

Although I don't think it does, it's also possible that the installer checks C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Arduino15; remove that directory.

pert:
As a workaround, you can use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" download from:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
To install that version, you only need to unzip the downloaded file. You can move the unzipped folder anywhere you want. To uninstall that version, you just delete the folder.

If you still need to use the installer version, let me know and I'll investigate what can be done to resolve your situation.

That works!

Note to Self: Follow instructions, avoid stupid moves