Arduino 101 + HC-05 (Bluetooth Serial connection)

Hey guys,

hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction: as far as i know it's not possible to get a serial connection over bluetooth with 101's onboard BLE chipset. So i thought of just adding a cheap HC-05/HC-06 module to it. I had no problems with these modules in combination with an Arduino UNO by connecting it to the RX/TX pin.

Unfortunately it seems to not work the same way with the 101. I'm not able to send any data by connecting the external bluetooth module to the RX/TX pin, although pairing works. Is the onboard bluetooth chipset on the 101 somehow interfering with a second external module? If so, what would be a workaround? Or do i have to use other pins than RX/TX via SoftwareSerial or so?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Marcus

The problem is that the BLE does not define a 'standard serial' connection, so each manufacture defines their own.

If use my free pfodDesigner it will generate Arduino 101 code with a 'serial' connection based on Nordic's definition. Your next problem is getting a mobile to connect to it.

Again the problem is no 'standard' so no universal app. Nordic's nRF Toolbox for BLE on Google Play says it has a UART connect so that may work for you.

On the other hand you may also find my pfodApp useful. It will connect to Arduino 101 (and lots of other non-standard BLE devices) and accept a stream of data that can be displayed, plotted and logged. The free pfodDesigner lets you design your own menus to display on your Android and you can also design custom controls.

This may remove the need to add another bluetooth device to the 101

Update: I just checked nRF UART 2.0 Android App and it works fine as a UART connection to the code generated by pfodDesigner for the Arduino101.

well, thanks for your detailed answer. The thing is, i "just" want to connect to the the Arduino 101 from my Macbook. Your answer seems to be relevant if i want to connect with a mobile. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

drmpf:
The problem is that the BLE does not define a 'standard serial' connection, so each manufacture defines their own.

If use my free pfodDesigner it will generate Arduino 101 code with a 'serial' connection based on Nordic's definition. Your next problem is getting a mobile to connect to it.

Again the problem is no 'standard' so no universal app. Nordic's nRF Toolbox for BLE on Google Play says it has a UART connect so that may work for you.

On the other hand you may also find my pfodApp useful. It will connect to Arduino 101 (and lots of other non-standard BLE devices) and accept a stream of data that can be displayed, plotted and logged. The free pfodDesigner lets you design your own menus to display on your Android and you can also design custom controls.

This may remove the need to add another bluetooth device to the 101

Update: I just checked nRF UART 2.0 Android App and it works fine as a UART connection to the code generated by pfodDesigner for the Arduino101.

I just got this to work with my computer you have to use the SoftwareSerial.h library and create a separate SoftwareSerial object and use that to communicate.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial mySerial(0,1);
String input = "";

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
mySerial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {
if(bSerial.available() > 0){ 
    input = bSerial.readString(); //read data from the HC-06 and store it in a string
    Serial.println(input); //print to the Arduino usb serial monitor
}