arduino + 12" lcd

Hello is it posible to connect 12" laptop lcd to arduino ?

Everything is possible. Some things are just more possible than others.

Laptop LCD connectors are not standardized (they don’t even resemble VGA or anything) and have a LOT of wires. Even if you did manage to get it to work you’d have a horrible framerate.

If the laptop still works, you could run something on it to let the Arduino draw to it, but even that probably wouldn’t be fast enough to be useful for anything.

ok, tnx
someone may have already done anything like this ? I asked google but have not found anything useful… :frowning:

what is the largest commercially available display supported by the Arduino? and where i can buy ?

I remember seeing a QVGA touchscreen shield somewhere on these forums, search around a bit. There may be something bigger but remember as the size goes up the speed and available power for other things will go down.

ok, I m looking for information!
but what about the 12 "laptop lcd connection - I am not a professional in this field - which to begin?

What are you looking to display on the LCD? There is not even enough memory on the Arduino to contain one frame of information.

I want to show on a LCD screen car’s guges - temperature,tahometer, etc.

Is the screen detached from the rest of the pc?

The Mega, which uses the most powerful chip of all the Arduino models, has 8kB of RAM. A single frame on a 640x480 8-bit color display is 300kB. You’re going to need something more powerful than an Arduino.

If you insist on trying with an Arduino (it’s not completely impossible, it’ll just be really slow and complicated) you’ll have to look around for the pinout of the specific LCD you’re using - they’re all different. Alternatively, you could leave the LCD attached to the laptop and have the Arduino send the numbers to display to a program running on the laptop. (Computers already have the special electronics needed to drive displays, it’s usually known as a “video card”. You’d essentially wind up building your own video card any other way.)

Do I understand correctly - it is possible to build a video card for Arduino? able to communicate with the laptop lcd screen? - if it is so , how can i finde some examples ? - Maybe someone has already done something?

The arduino has about the same power as a 30 year old desktop computer. If you are old enough to remember what 30 year old computers had graphics wise you’d realise the futility of what you’re trying to do. The Commodore Pet, more or less the same power as an Arduino :

One possibility would be to use a TellyMate shield (Batsocks - TellyMate Shield) or Micro VGA board (http://www.microvga.com/) connected to a standard screen.

TellyMate:

Micro VGA:

http://www.microvga.com/video/microvga4.flv

Andrew

You could look into the “Propellurino” I haven’t found anywhere to buy it in the states yet… I don’t trust ordering from sites I can’t understand 100%… but here’s the post about it:
Has a link to buy it as well, comes out to about $80 USD.
http://www.hobby-roboter.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72

It has PS/2 Keyboard or Mouse inputs, VGA output (pretty good quality), sound output… not sure about, MIDI-input connector, and microphone in.

Here’s an example of it with the Arduino outputs (this is what makes me really want to get it, it looks badass!) via VGA output:

Here’s video:

But yeah, I’ve used the TellyMate, it’s amazingly easy and super simple to make your own as well if you want. (I just used an old Atmega8, 2 N4148 diodes, 2 resistors(330 ohm, 1k), 2 ceramic caps (22pf x 2), and the crystal (16MHz)!

He’s been awesome enough to provide the .hex files, and even some .bat files to make the uploads easy! :smiley:
http://www.batsocks.co.uk/downloads/index_downloads.htm

Your project sounds very similar to what I started last week! ;D

I’m Hooking my Arduino up to my old Asus eeePC 701. The 7" screen should be about the right height for my car’s dash, and leaves some space for any dials I don’t present on the screen.

Since the Arduino Editor is written in Java, I can include the same libraries then write the rest of the display in normal Java. I should need very little processing power on the board itself as I have the eee’s Celeron to convert sensor values (0-1023) into real numbers for display.

I haven’t considered the input voltage of the laptop yet, but as it requires 9.5V, a DC-DC transformer should be reasonably efficient and easy to find. The laptop’s battery will also provide protection from sudden shutdowns etc.