Arduino 2.11 beta ESP 32 Jtag

Not sure if there is a seperate forum for Arduino IDE 2.11 beta?

How can I setup the 2.11 IDE to debug a ESP32 using JTAG?

This is the correct one. This forum category is for all Arduino IDE 2.x versions. The version of the Arduino IDE you are using is actually 2.0.0-beta.11. There is no such thing as "Arduino IDE 2.11 beta".

As far as I know (and I keep a watch on such things), the only Arduino boards platform that has support for the Arduino IDE 2.x integrated debugger is the "Arduino SAMD Boards" platform of the Arduino Zero, MKR boards, and Nano 33 IoT. It is possible to add support to other platforms, but it seems nobody has done so yet, perhaps because Arduino hasn't bothered to document how it can be done. Reverse engineering the system from the Arduino SAMD Boards configuration code and applying it to another platform would be very simple enough though. It's only a matter of adding a few lines to a couple of files.

But in the case of the ESP32 there is also the question of whether the integrated debugger itself can offer support. The IDE's integrated debugger is actually this nice VS Code extension:
https://github.com/Marus/cortex-debug

As the name implies, this debugger is designed for use with microcontrollers that use the ARM Cortex-M IP core. The ESP32 uses a Tensilica Xtensa core instead. I'm not saying it's guaranteed that it is not compatible though. It would certainly be a great advancement for the Arduino community if this support was added!

Related discussion: