Arduino 2560 official can't install driver

Hello everyone, I received an arduino mega 2560, I tired to plug in to the computer with different cables to different USB ports, but still the same result :

The driver doesn't get installed

I tried to install it myself by right clicking on the arduino which had a yellow triangle, update driver and specifiy the folder driver in the arduino folder, but then the result is : Windows encountered an error, the file couldn't be reached

Sorry for my english, I tried to translate as much as I could

If anyone has any idea I'd be happy to hear it :slight_smile:

thank you in advance !

Are you sure its an "official" board ?

Can you post a pic near the USB connector (decent quality) ?

If you are using USB 3.0 ports then swap to a USB 2.0 port and don't use a USB 3.0 cable either.

Pics of what you see in device manager would also be nice but maybe not needed.

What OS ? (important)

Any other information you hope might help others to help you.

thanks ! I'm running on Windows 7

I can't take a picture of the board as it is in a case and I can't access it without spending a lot of time on it :confused: But I'm 100% sur it is an official, it has everything saying arduino.cc on it etc.

I'm actually using a 3.0 USB port but I don't have any USB 2.0 port on my computer (it's a laptop)

here is a pic of what is in the device manager :

Sorry that's in french, but anyways to summer up : error code 28

thank you again !!

No problem.

For those who DONT have a choice on the USB ports there is a work round.

Thats is to use a POWERED USB 2.0 hub between the Arduino and the computer.
The reasoning seems to be the throttling effect the USB 2.0 hub has.
Success has been very good for lots of people and the brand doesn’t seem to matter too much

But always try at least to get a reputable one and make sure the PSU for it is capable of supplying ALL the ports with at least the minimum 500mA eg. a 4 port should have a PSU capable of 4 x 500 mA.

You never know when you may want those extra ports…

DSC_8668 cr 75.jpg

I tried with a hub, it gives the same result : windows encoutenered blablabla :frowning:

If you have any other idea... :slight_smile:

Dang you are probably the first one to fail with that method…

K win 7 so double check all your win7 updates. as there was one that caused USB to go off the rails.
That was quite some time ago but As I recall rolling back that fixed some of the USB problems.

There was also another thread where the OP reported rolling back the hardwares USB 3 driver too and that was another winner as a few did that.

BTW still waiting for a picture of your board near the USB connector It may be a PITA to get but could provide the key.

I think you were correct to try to install the driver manually and should think about the error and fix that. Are you using Administrators account? Latest software? Can you try another Arduino/Computer/Download?

Ballscrewbob:
Dang you are probably the first one to fail with that method....

K win 7 so double check all your win7 updates. as there was one that caused USB to go off the rails.
That was quite some time ago but As I recall rolling back that fixed some of the USB problems.

There was also another thread where the OP reported rolling back the hardwares USB 3 driver too and that was another winner as a few did that.

BTW still waiting for a picture of your board near the USB connector It may be a PITA to get but could provide the key.

I can't provie a pciture of it, it is enclosed and glued

Maybe should I mention that a fake arduino from chian works with their own driver...

But the thing is that the arduino is well recognized, so I don't know if it is due to hardware stuff ?

RichardDL:
I think you were correct to try to install the driver manually and should think about the error and fix that. Are you using Administrators account? Latest software? Can you try another Arduino/Computer/Download?

Yes I do everything as an admin. I even tried the hourly release of Arduino, can't try other arduino, but chinese one with its own driver works...

Thanks !

That was the point of the pic but if you already have a clone working just fine that rules out A CH340 issue.
You might be surprised as some people wont or don't post pictures as they think they wont get support...
That's not the case around here many of us use them.

Do you have a schematic for what and how you have things connected to the board ?

Ballscrewbob:
That was the point of the pic but if you already have a clone working just fine that rules out A CH340 issue.
You might be surprised as some people wont or don't post pictures as they think they wont get support...
That's not the case around here many of us use them.

Do you have a schematic for what and how you have things connected to the board ?

I have a very basic installation : Arduino MEGA + RAMPS 1.4.

I suppose the pics would be very useful but I really can't, otherwise they would already be online :slight_smile:

Ah and now we get to the bottom of things...

Sorry I should have shaken my crystal ball a little more...Special batteries cost a fortune for it.

OK I know there are or have been issues with Ramps boards and megas.
BUT I don't know anything about them apart from we only tend to see the issues here.
Going to have to pass on any further help and hope a ramps expert is around.
OR you can do a search of the forum for "ramps"

Sorry about that...The lack of information was misleading me into other realms.

Okay thank you very much for your help anyways ! :slight_smile:

And sorry if my informations weren’t clear at first…