Arduino, 2motors and L293d

Hello,

I would like to control 2 motors in both directions with the L293d(a dual H-bridge in 1 ic). But I've got still some questions:

• Is it necessary to place resistors between the arduino and the L293d-inputs?
  • Why is there a capacitor between the 12V+ en -? (someone uses this, I saw) -Where to connect pins 1,8,9 and 16?

this is my drawing in Fritzing:

Thanks, Feike

technocad:

I haven't used this chip too much so I hope someone else will verify my answers.

• Is it necessary to place resistors between the arduino and the L293d-inputs? No

• Why is there a capacitor between the 12V+ en -? (someone uses this, I saw) Motors are noisy devices. The capacitor suppresses most of this noise so it does not affect the operation of the driver chip.

-Where to connect pins 1,8,9 and 16? Pins 1 and 9 are the respective enable signals for your two motors. They must be high for the motor to run. Depending on your program you may be able to tie them high or you may have to use an Arduino output to drive them high when required. Pins 8 and 16 are the power pins for the L293D chip. Pin 16 goes to your 12v line and pin 8 goes to ground.

Don

Pin 16 goes to your 12v line and pin 8 goes to ground.

Nope: 16 is the supply for the on-chip logic, and should go to the Arduino's 5V line.

Pin 8 is the positive supply for the motors, which may or may not be 12V: depends on the motor.

You also need to make sure the Arduino ground is connected to the ground on the L293.

Ran