Arduino 328P - problem with sending sketch from IDE

Hi!

I'm new with Arduino stuff, and I have a problem trying to send a sketch from Arduino software to my 328P processor.

Here are some details:

-I bought a DIY kit from Spikenzie Labs, link: https://www.spikenzielabs.com/Catalog/drum-kits/drum-kit-kit-ai

-I did the soldering and got the system working with my MIDI in on my soundcard connected to my PC.

-I did not buy FTDI-USB cable with the DIY kit, so I ordered one from another store, link: https://www.vapaakauppa.net/ftdi-kaapeli-usb-uart-rs232-5v.html

-When I received the cable and started to connecting it, I realised that the colors on my cable were different then the colors in the "original" FTDI cable that was in my kit's manual.

-I have tried all the combinations, except the +5v and ground I have not changed, cause I got advice that it might destroy the arduino.

-The Arduino software finds the COM-port, and starts the send sketch, but after some time the software says there was error, programmer not respondnig.

Could you guys give any advice how to proceed?

Thanks a lot!

-Mauno

How are you connecting to your 328 processor - is this on an Arduino or something else ? If something else : You need to wire the DTR line to a capacitor on the processor reset pin ( plus a pull up resistor) so the processor is in reset state just as the data is sent . Your processor also needs to have a boot loader installed too.

hammy: How are you connecting to your 328 processor - is this on an Arduino or something else ? If something else : You need to wire the DTR line to a capacitor on the processor reset pin ( plus a pull up resistor) so the processor is in reset state just as the data is sent . Your processor also needs to have a boot loader installed too.

Thanks for the reply!

The system is working with the default values, so all the drum hits have the maximum velocity cause the default sketch has the velocity sens set to off.

So I'm not sure do I need to reset or boot the processor since it is working, but just not taking in programmer.?

Thanks!

-Mauno

just looked at the links for this .

I think you need to get in touch with the supplier as to how you operate this .

Look up the standard FTDI pinout (also, shame on the designer of that board for marking the pins with colors, not the purpose of the pin - non-FTDI cables outnumber FTDI ones among hobbyists probably 50 to 1, since CH340G-based ones are like $2)

TX to RX, RX to TX, and DTR to the last pin, which is hopefully connected to one side of a 0.1uF cap, with the other side connected to reset and reset pulled up to 5v with a 10k resistor.

Also, does that jumper need to be changed to power it from the serial adapter? I mean if it's got external power, that's fine, but if it doesn't while you're trying to upload, not having the board powered would of course interfere with the upload.

Did you find the answer?
I’m having the exact same problem, after receiving from China my FTDI cable with separated connectors and other colours than what I see in manuals…

I see on the board ‘green’ and ‘black’ indicated, but what about the others?
(mine are:
green, black, white, yellow, red, and blue.

Any advice would be grandly appreciated!

That's quite annoying that some of the Chinese manufacturers changed from the standard color scheme for these cables.

I just found a couple of these cables on eBay and according to the listing the functions of the pins are as shown below (colors from the "Color (China)" column). The board is marked assuming you're using the standard color scheme so with your screwy cable you need to connect the yellow wire to the pin marked GRN, the black wire to the pin marked "BLK", and the other wires in the order shown (YWGRBB).

Function | Color (official FTDI) | Color (China)

DTR or RTS | Green | Yellow RX | Yellow | White TX | Orange | Green VCC | Red | Red CTS | Brown | Blue GND | Black | Black

Hello! I had the same problem as you, but by following this link, I found simple tips that allowed me to find satisfaction.