Arduino 3Volts

What happen if i connect arduino to 3v power supply, theres any performance decrease?

It should work fine although it is out of spec.
Usually you should slow down the clock when lowering the voltage.

It should work fine although it is out of spec.
Usually you should slow down the clock when lowering the voltage.

So, i don't able to run at 16MHZ with 3V?

Thanks for answer.

What happen if i connect arduino to 3v power supply, theres any performance decrease?

Do you mean connecting the whole board or just the ATMega microcontroller on it?

--Phil.

So, i don't able to run at 16MHZ with 3V?

It could cause some erratic behaviours. If you can get access to a programmer it would be easy enough to change the fuse (setting) so that the clock is divided by 8. Or use the internal oscillator, but I'm not sure how that behaves when you have an external crystal connected.

Yes, i want to connect the Arduino Stamp to a 3.3Volts power supply (sometimes 3 volts, i don't know why), to make a low power consume ultra secret U.S. government project. ;D
And i need to know if i can still running at 16MHZ and the code will function equally.

For something as mission critical as that, the answer would be no. Otherwise... avr's are know to be very overclockable and 3v is not that far off, it could very well run just fine. Test it! there's no harm. set the jumper to external unplug anything in the power plug and plug your 3v source to the Arduino's 5v and Gnd pin.

HEHE, thanks very much ill try. Is just for a robotic blimp, using PING))) sensor to hold altitude, and a pair of motors to make turns and go forward and back. And will be programmed to fly around of an IR beacon. I need to finish it in march first, for an exposition in San Diego, California.

You know, i love the UAVS stuff. :slight_smile:

Doesn't seem like you need the 16Mhz to me. If you're making a custom board I'd say just ditch the crystal and run at 8Mhz, should still be plenty. Hey, at 1MIPS / Mhz it's still faster than the first 386!

Yes i thought that, but is only for the second version, because i don't have time. The next time i will make a custom board and ill use just the atmega168 and program it with the lilypad option.

Thanks for the help!!

for light weightness and major voltages, i reccomend cellphone batteries... like the motorazr one, its thin and very lightweight, and a couple will give you around 5 volts. Even if needed, a bunch will give you like 9 volts.