arduino 5" bay

Hi Guys

I've just got a new computer, and much to my joy there are 3 empty bays on the front (plus a DVD -RW drive) and have decided to embed my dirt cheap arduino clone (I made it myself :D ) into one of the bays

Currently, I've got plans to add 3 heat sensors (for ambient temperature near my hard disk, my CPU and power supply) 3 RGB led's to display the temps. This leaves me with 6 remaining digital pins (8 but I'm using D2 and D7 for usb com's via Vusb)

I'm thinking using them as buttons for customisable inputs, any ideas what potential inputs I could use these as?

current Ideas (both my linux and windows install use the same keyboard commands on purpose for compatibility)

1 - lock computer (Win-L) 2 - Run dialogue (Win-R) 3 - Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) (added to my windows install) 4 - home folder/my documents (Win+E) 5 - ? 6 - ?

any other thoughts, tips, ideas or advice would be much appreciated

thanks

Dan

bump (na, actually got more to add/clarify)

I've just finished a 3D enclosure for this, that will fit into a standard 5.25" drive bay, and has a slot that can take a 3.5" bay device. For bonus points I've designed a small draw to go in it :D

Once I've worked out what functions (and I/O's) I'm going to use, I'll get the enclosure printed, and will have to fit it into my computer...

So, still looking for any ideas/advice on what I/O's and functions to include... An IR remote is looking like fun, but i'm not sure how well a mega328p-pu would handle monitering 3 temp moniters and a few buttons and an IR receiver, and controlling 3 LED's ...

Sounds like a trivial task for an 8-bit AVR.
mega32 or mega328? Slightly different chips.

Fair enough, Glad it shouldn't strain the chip too much (just my head).. That was meant to be 328p-pu... 1AM typo :blush:

Components arrived today (christmas present), so let the build begin.

IR receiver 5 neopixels (I actually only need 3, but i'd rather have spares) Buttons (I just have 100s lying around) 3 TMP36 (need to update my code from the lm35 i was testing with and pcb + components. Lets get to work :D

I did not see the SD card to data log when you log on and when you log off. or how many attempts at wrong passwords are made.

dave-in-nj: I did not see the SD card to data log when you log on and when you log off. or how many attempts at wrong passwords are made.

Never even considered that... Thanks for the idea :D

That'll mean adding some software to the desktop to send that info to the arduino, but its well worth looking into :)

Hi, if you want to emulate a keyboard, won’t you need something based on atmega32u4 (like Pro Micro) rather than a 328?

Paul

PaulRB: Hi, if you want to emulate a keyboard, won't you need something based on atmega32u4 (like Pro Micro) rather than a 328?

You'd have thought so, But I've got Vusb working on my board. So I can get the 328 to act as a usb hid device. Basically working with what I've got rather than going out and getting more stuff.

If all you want to do is HID (keyboard, mouse, gamepad and joystick) Vusb is perfectly adequate.

Besides, I'm usles at SMD soldering, so I'd rather stick to the PDip package of the 328p-PU

But yeh, If I were to redesign this project without anything to start with, then I'd go for the 32U4

Ah, I've just thourght, I could have got a neopixel stick with 8 LED's on it, and had a few spare for later use.

ah well, Best laid plans aye?