Arduino AC Voltage Dimmer (Variable Resistor? PWM?)

Hello,

I have a passive device (let’s call it MyLamp, see attached) which requires 65V 60AC when fully turned on. Maximum current draw is in the 0.04 A range.

My goal is to be able to manually dim this “MyLamp” by slowly bringing the signal down, with the ability to have the load see full power.

I tested a 10K-100K slide potentiometer, which gets me very close to what I am desiring, but I need it to be controlled using an Arduino and also be able to not burn up from the 65V AC source.

Can anyone recommend a specific device which can be controlled using an Arduino in order to slowly / manually adjust the amplitude of the AC signal / adjustable resistance seen my by MyLamp?

High Power Voltage Controlled Resistor? Some method of PWMing the signal? Kind sort of power transistor?

Thanks!

Circuit.PNG

It could run on 65V DC, too.
What's your 65V AC source?

If you need VAC then you need a Triac.

You could use a 120/220v transformer, put 120 into the 220 side and get 60 or so out.

Okay, I am going to ask it: What kind of lamp ? Some lamps need high temperatures, some lamps don't like triac control, some lights are inductive, some ... Well, you got the idea.

and what do you mean by "65v 60AC" Do you mean 65volts at 60Hz and if so where are you getting the 65 volts from (a transformer maybe ?) Is the lamp frequency sensitive or is it a simple incandescent device. These are available to operate at such voltages with current draw typically in milliamps. 65 x 0.04 = 2.6watts

AC dimming is done using triacs and zero cross detection. If you use a variable resistor you are going to waste energy.
I dont like Instructables very much but this may help
http://m.instructables.com/id/Arduino-controlled-light-dimmer-The-circuit/step1/Arduino-controlled-light-dimmer-The-PCB/