Arduino/AdaFruit Micro Drivers ???? (not ready for prime time)

The page

has instructions for loading the drivers for the Arduino/AdaFruit Micro board under Windows 7 (X64).

“Another dialog appears: navigate to the folder with the Arduino software that you just downloaded.”

What is glaringly missing is the location to download said drivers from.

Does anyone know where I can find these drivers ???
Otherwise this board resembles a submarine screen door.

https://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=1040

A signed driver is available here:
http://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino_drivers_win_signed_test1.zip
this is a all-in-one driver for all boards that is going to replace the old ones: please test it on EVERY windows box you own (also XP, Vista, 7 etc.), and report back if it is working.

AccessDenied

Once you have downloaded the Arduino IDE, the drivers are located at:

/drivers/

Well I have been running the IDE for several months now (version 1.0.5).
There is indeed a drivers folder there but there are no drivers that that the OS recognizes for the Micro.

I briefly see “Arduino Micro bootloader (Com8)” in the device manager …
then everything goes to S###.
What I am left with is “USB IO board” (disabled).
Hardware IDS from device manager are:
USB\VID_2341&PID_8037&REV_0100
USB\VID_2341&PID_8037

These are the lines from the arduino.inf that is installed in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\arduino.inf_amd64_neutral_f13cf06b4049adb5
%micro.bootloader.name%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_2341&PID_0037
%micro.sketch.name%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_2341&PID_8037&MI_00

OK … this is a stupid question but shouldn’t the device ID and INF ID match in order for it to work ???

Interesting, your Micro board seems to have a different PID number to the “Arduino Micro.inf” driver file.

I’ve made a modified version of the inf file which is attached. Does this one work for you?

Arduino Micro Leo.ini (3.26 KB)

[quote author=Tom Carpenter link=topic=190682.msg1409874#msg1409874 date=1380466171] Interesting, your Micro board seems to have a different PID number to the "Arduino Micro.inf" driver file.

I've made a modified version of the inf file which is attached. Does this one work for you? [/quote]

You are exactly correct ... I stumbled onto that myself.

I tried to hack the AdaFruit file and since then I have been restoring my computer from the blue screen of death.

Well after 6 more blue screens I about ready to give up ...

The only time any driver is recognized and installed is if the inf file has "USB\VID_2341&PID_8037&REV_0100" included .... Then I get a popup[ from windows asking if I want to install the unapproved driver. If I answer yes then I get a blue screen about 10 seconds later.

Now I am probably jumping to unfounded conclusions here but the REV_0100 indicates someone at the Arduino factory has updated the firmware.

The only reference that I can find to USB\VID_2341&PID_8037&REV_0100 is the thread http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,177277.0.html In that thread the user only got that ID string on a USB port ... well I have tried all my ports and the same ID comes up.

Looks like I have three options: 1) find the OLD version of the bootloader and reload it to the MICRO (might work or might not) 2) downgrade all my computers to Windows XP X32 --- not going to happen 3) send it back wait until the product is stable

Got it working --- kind of--- on an XP. I was able to upload the blinky program. Then I tried "hello world" on the serial port .... nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch.

Conclusion: Door number three please. The Arduino Micro is not ready for prime time.

lewtwo: A signed driver is available here: http://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino_drivers_win_signed_test1.zip this is a all-in-one driver for all boards that is going to replace the old ones: please test it on EVERY windows box you own (also XP, Vista, 7 etc.), and report back if it is working.

You might try reporting back that it isn't working. ;) It is inconvenient, for sure, that it didn't work first time out of the gate, but do remember you're using a device meant for hacking. Don't be run off by a little trial and error. I'm sure the Arduino guys could get you a driver update within a couple days.

SirNickity:
You might try reporting back that it isn’t working. :wink:

I’m sure the Arduino guys could get you a driver update within a couple days.

To whom ???
All the arduino references instruct users to report problems to the Arduino user forums … that is here.

lewtwo: To whom ??? All the arduino references instruct users to report problems to the Arduino user forums ... that is here.

You bought it from Adafruit. Adafruit is very active in the Arduino development community. Seems like they'd have an invested interest in fixing the experience you had.

One of the advantages of buying from a vendor like Adafruit is that they provide support for everything they sell. Very excellent support in my experience. What did they say when you posted your issues on their forums?

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=190682.msg1410549#msg1410549 date=1380506079]

lewtwo: To whom ??? All the arduino references instruct users to report problems to the Arduino user forums ... that is here.

You bought it from Adafruit. Adafruit is very active in the Arduino development community. Seems like they'd have an invested interest in fixing the experience you had.

One of the advantages of buying from a vendor like Adafruit is that they provide support for everything they sell. Very excellent support in my experience. What did they say when you posted your issues on their forums? [/quote]

Bad assumption: I bought it on Amazon and the vendor name is MP3 CAR. They appear to be the ONLY vendor selling genuine Arduino boards on Amazon (which was kinda of the reason I ordered it).

Fair assumption, seeing as how your first post referred to it as the Arduino/Adafruit Micro.

Still might be worth dropping a note in their forum. Lady Ada and crew are waist-deep in the community there. With it being a product they sell, I'm fairly certain you will get an adequate answer.

SirNickity:
Fair assumption, seeing as how your first post referred to it as the Arduino/Adafruit Micro.

True enough … although I did intend it to mean that it was a collaborative design between Arduino and Adafruit.

SirNickity:
Still might be worth dropping a note in their forum. Lady Ada and crew are waist-deep in the community there. With it being a product they sell, I’m fairly certain you will get an adequate answer.

I will take the advice and give it a shot … it is a really nice looking board. One of the first things that impressed me was the fact that the marking on top of the MPU are distinctly and clearly legible (I have found it challenging to read the markings of some of the 168’s even under a microscope).

I have the Exact same problem. Any ideas?

I can’t program, as the instructions says.
Serial port ‘COM12’ already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it.

No Driver and when reseting Driver is OK buy apparently busy.

Windows is 7 x64 I'm from Spain, bought in local Store. http://www.diotronic.com/raspberry-pi-arduino/arduino/placas/arduino-micro_r_1080_26761.aspx