Arduino + Align Digital Servo

Hello

I have just started a project that i need a servo to turn at the same time that a potentiometer turns. So i got myself an Arduino Duemilanove and i have hooked it up to my servo i had.

The first servo i used was a Futaba S3003 and it was way to slow ( but very accurate ) So i went out and purchased a Align DS610, this servo is very fast but it judders and is not very precise. Not sure if its the 10K potentiometer i am using.

Any tips on how i can make it smoother?

Cheers,

Nic

Also:

i am using the code that comes with the Arduino software!

#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo; // create servo object to control a servo

int potpin = 0; // analog pin used to connect the potentiometer
int val; // variable to read the value from the analog pin

void setup()
{
myservo.attach(9); // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object
}

void loop()
{
val = analogRead(potpin); // reads the value of the potentiometer (value between 0 and 1023)
val = map(val, 0, 1023, 0, 180); // scale it to use it with the servo (value between 0 and 180)
myservo.write(val); // sets the servo position according to the scaled value
delay(0); // waits for the servo to get there
}

This is a video of the setup:

http://www.vimeo.com/4885222

Not sure how you are powering the servo but if its from the Arduino 5 volt line then that may be the problem. The servo may be drawing more current then the Arduino/USB can provide. Try connecting an external 5 power source to the power line of the servo (for example four 1.5 volt cells). Don't forget to connect the battery ground to the arduino and servo ground.

Thanks for the advice, i dont have a battery pack at the moment to try it but i think i am going to send the servo back as it does not have enough strength for what i need! and its very loud!

Any advice on finding a Strong, Fast and Quite servo?

:)

Nic

The specification of the servo are impressive. I would try to find a suitable power source to try it with before you give up on that servo

Well let me see if i can find a power source and try it out. Just not sure if it has enough torque on it. Did cost me £42 though :)

I am trying to make a unit along the lines of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImlfgySmIg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSlcbi0GnVw&feature=related

The thing is i am more of a builder than a coder and so not sure i have done all that ok or not!

Nic

That servo is seriously fast, and will almost certainly draw a lot of current. I find it hard to believe that 80mS (!) for a 60 degree travel and 12kg cm of torque isn't going to be enough to turn a lens barrel.

What is the max amount of power i can put through the board? or could i power the servo separate and just power the board of the USB?

You have been a great help by the way!

Nic

could i power the servo separate

Not merely "could", but "must". This will draw waaay more than the USB can provide.

OK so i went and put power to the servo on it own and it makes a total difference :) for power its great and speed, FAST! .....

But it is way to loud and for film it would piss the sound recordist off so bad.

They must make silent servos?

So, stick it in a felt-lined box.

Welcome to engineering, the Art of Compromise!

Now, with the same supply, try the Futaba servo.

Ha, thanks for all your help! :)