Arduino and 220v light bulb

Hi,

I have 220v light bulb that is controlled by a manual switch,

i want to monitor if the lamp is on or off by a signal or (whatever module) connected between light bulb and the arduino

i want to keep it manual, i don't want a relay for now

thanks

Do you need to be able to tell if the bulb is actually glowing, or just that it has power?

(It could be "on" but broken....)

jubukraa:
Do you need to be able to tell if the bulb is actually glowing, or just that it has power?

(It could be "on" but broken....)

no i want to know if it has power

The easiest way is to use a relay with a 220V coil, and connect the contact side to the Arduino like you would any switch (i.e. use the internal pull-up resitor). The relay contact ratings are not critical since you are switching low voltage & current.

A relay is simply an electrically-operated and electrically-isolated switch. (Usually, it's used the opposite way to control a high voltage or current from a low-power source, but it can be used the other way to0.)

DVDdoug:
The easiest way is to use a relay with a 220V coil,

Or a plug pack with say a 5v output.

Have I missed the point here?
Photo-resistor? maybe at the end of a long blackened tube pointing at the light?
Possibly a break-beam LED across the light switch toggle, or a magnet glued to the toggle and a reed switch ? or a current transformer / sensor in the switch wire?....