arduino and 55 timer

is it possible to use a arduino to trigger a 555 timer (using random) the reason is I have built a replica train work shop and want to use leds to simulate welding under the trains,

Why the LM555. Arduino can drive LEDs too. Leo..

the reason behind the lm555 is when a model loco is driven in to the shed a micro switch will bring that lm555 on line so it looks like the loco is being worked on, the arduino will be running all the time as the will be 5 pins used to trigger different lm555,

That still doesn't say why you need a 555 timer. You can do all you want with just the Arduino.

the lm555 will be used to create a pulse when that micro switch is activated. the arduino will be running a code to create a random number for the pins 3 to 10. this means if only 3 switches are active then only 3 lm 555 will be firing

this will give the illusion of work going on the loco I know the arduino can run the code to flash leds randomly but I want them only to be active when a loco is above them

That still doesn't say why you need a 555 timer. You can do all you want with just the Arduino.

"Read" each switch with an Arduino input pin, then depending which input pin is active, flash the appropriate output pin. Otherwise make eight 555 circuits, power them all, find a place to mount them all, etc.

This can all be done easily with just an Arduino, LEDs, and series resistors.

the arduino will be running a code to create a random number for the pins 3 to 10.

Eight LEDs...

as the will be 5 pins used to trigger different lm555,

... or five LEDs?