arduino and basic stamp linking

I am constructing a gps guided UAV. my plan is to use the arduino mini pro to make a stabilizer board, then to connect the basic stamp parallax board with the gps unit as the guidance system. i was going to connect the parallax board in-between the reviver and modified arduino board so i can switch the guidance system on and off. my question is: can the arduino board and basic stamp be linked and can they communicate. the other is what kind of program will have to be created to link then. this is for my senior high school project in my engineering class. if you have any input it would be greatly appreciated.

can the arduino board and basic stamp be linked and can they communicate.

There is no reason why they cannot be linked together and communicate.

what kind of program will have to be created to link then.

That depends on what type of information you have to share. If you are talking about on/off status signals then you can probably get away with a wire or a trace on a pc board. If you are talking about more complicated information then a serial data link may be appropriate. The Arduino can handle basic serial communications (RS-232 at TTL levels), I2C, and SPI. The Basic Stamp has been around for nearly 2 decades but even the early ones should be able to handle basic serial communication and the later versions can probably handle the other protocols.

Don

Simplest would probably be with serial comm’s between the 2. Pick a datarate, define some messages with the data you want to send.
Stamp have 2 serial ports (GPS and arduino)? If not, make it do bit-bang serial for comm’s to arduino. Or add an SPI/I2C serial chip.