Arduino and Big Easy Driver not working

Hi all,

Just set up an Arduino Duemilanove with a 12V 2A wall wart for use with a Big Easy Driver in turning a NEMA 17 stepper motor. The Big Easy driver’s screw terminals are connected to 4 of the motor’s wires and VIN and GND from the Arduino (to power the Big Easy Driver). The other holes on the Big Easy Driver are unused except for that GND is connected to Arduino’s ground and STEP is connected to Pin 13. For more detail, check out the attached images.

Here is the code I uploaded:

void setup() {                
  pinMode(8, OUTPUT);     
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(8, LOW);
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
  delay(50);          
  digitalWrite(13, LOW); 
  delay(50);          
}

With everything connected but Pin 13 to the STEP pin, the Arduino will flash the onboard LED on and off. But when Pin 13 is connected properly, the LED quits flashing and the stepper motor does not turn anyway.

I can tell that the motor is working (swapped it out twice) and that the Big Easy Driver is working (light is on, motor is hard to spin and has torque), but something else is causing an issue. I tried putting the BED and the Arduino on separate power supplies, but that also didn’t help. Can you help me with getting my motor to spin?

Thanks,

Blue Ice

It looks like you are trying to power the motor from the Arduino - that's a big NO NO. The motor driver must have a direct power supply. The Arduino can't supply enough current for any motor.

A diagram of your wiring (perhaps a photo of a pencil drawing) is much more informative than a photgraph of the equipment.

The webpage for the Pololu A4988 stepper driver has good diagrams about how things need to be connected. It is not identical the the BigEasydriver, but is similar.

It would also be a good idea to post a link to the specifications of your Motor. There are hundreds of different Nema17 motors.

...R

Robin2:
It looks like you are trying to power the motor from the Arduino - that’s a big NO NO. The motor driver must have a direct power supply. The Arduino can’t supply enough current for any motor.

A diagram of your wiring (perhaps a photo of a pencil drawing) is much more informative than a photgraph of the equipment.

The webpage for the Pololu A4988 stepper driver has good diagrams about how things need to be connected. It is not identical the the BigEasydriver, but is similar.

It would also be a good idea to post a link to the specifications of your Motor. There are hundreds of different Nema17 motors.

…R

That’s interesting- many sites that I have looked at seemed OK with using the VIN pin to power anything connected to the Arduino. Either way, I switched to using a different wall wart to power the BED separately from the Arduino. Now the Arduino is provided power through USB, and the BED has its own power.

Attached is a diagram that someone else made of my situation. I just set up my Arduino to use the pins 13 and 4 for step and direction, respectively. I also changed the code a little:

void setup() {                
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);     
  pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(4, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
  delay(300);          
  digitalWrite(13, LOW); 
  delay(300);          
}

The motor I have appears not to be made anymore, but the closest similarity (my motor has 6.2 ohm coil resistance) would be 17PM-K049B in the attached datasheet.

I believe the reason that the LED turns off when the wire is connected is because there is some sort of short to GND. However, upon testing out the connection with a continuity tester, Pin 13 and GND are not connected.

17PM-K.pdf (36.4 KB)

Problem solved- the Big Easy Driver was shot. After replacing it with a new one, everything works perfectly.

Thanks for the help, Robin! See you around the site!

hi all how are all i have some problem about easy step driver ver 4.4 easy step driver not work in arduino card i install correct program and step driver connectioin but not work please repply me fast

How many 3.5mm screw connector do I need to connect the Big Easy Driver to Arduino?

wsembd: please repply me fast

Make a careful drawing showing how everything is connected and post a photo of that. Post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motor. Give details of the power supply you are using for the motor - volts and amps.

Don't expect a fast reply when you don't give all the necessary information. Don't demand a fast reply when you are not paying for it.

...R

BlueIce: Problem solved- the Big Easy Driver was shot. After replacing it with a new one, everything works perfectly.

Thanks for the help, Robin! See you around the site!

Do you have any clue how it was damaged? I would guess by powering from the 5V instead of the 12V motor supply, but there are other ways it can happen (overheating, or rewiring the motor when driver is powered).

MarkT: Do you have any clue how it was damaged?

Mark, that was 6 months ago. @wsemdb has a new problem.

...R