Arduino and Digital 5v RGB LED To Motorcycle Battery

Hi guys.

I want to hookup an Arduino and Digital RGB LEDs (5v) to run solely off of a motorcycle battery that will put out about 14v.

I tried running the LEDs off of the Arduino USB and 5v switch without external power and they don't seem to have enough juice to run the entire 4m (I won't need that much, but for testing).

I was hoping to use the Arduino power jack straight to the motorcycle battery since it has a regulator and run the LEDs off of the 5v pin, but I tried doing this with a 9v battery pack (no USB) and it wasn't working right.

I'm new so please include wiring pictures along with circuit diagrams if you can.

I know I should worry about more than just the Arduino regulator with voltage spikes, but I'm more interested in just "working" in general ATM than being a perfectly safe circuit.

Any help is appreciated

I tried running the LEDs off of the Arduino USB and 5v switch without external power and they don’t seem to have enough juice to run the entire 4m (I won’t need that much, but for testing).

Each Arduino pin is rated for 40mA absolute maximum, so that means you can power one or two LEDs (or 1/3rd of an RGB LED) from an I/O pin. You can’t directly drive an LED strip.

You’ll need a transistor or MOSFET driver for each color (or each “channel”).

Are the LED strips rated for 5V or 12V? 12V would be “easier” because you can run it from the (nominal) 12V motorcycle power. If they require 5V, you’ll need a 5V voltage regulator in addition to your driver circuits. (The 5V regulator built-onto the Arduino board would be over-stressed powering an LED strip.)

Thanks for your reply.

Here are the LEDs I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B1E0DDW/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any more info would be great.

Here are some images of how I have tested it and it works okay, but like u said won't power the whole strip.

http://m.imgur.com/YcT9vEu,1bzbMSH,Zoum88S,5Yg2Mq9

Tyrael: Any more info would be great.

Yes that information would have been great at the start of the thread. Those LED strips you got work off 5V. If you have a 14V battery then you have to regulate it down to 5V. Calculate the current you need by approximating 60mA per LED. With such a high current you need to use a switching regulator to get the voltage down.

Here are some images

And here is how to post them here image guide

Thanks, I tried to go back to edit the posts, but it only lets me do one thing every 10 minutes...

Image 1 Image 2 Image 3 Image 4

Obviously the current setup right, but I have been able to run some programs and power ~60 LEDs.

I'm thinking based on your advice that I should buy something like this

I can wire that to the LED +5v line and ground line, right? Then I can hook the arduino up to the motorcycle battery via the power jack and just let the internal regulator manage the 5V? Or should I buy 2 regulators and hook them both up separately?

Or should I buy 2 regulators and hook them both up separately?

Well given that 60 LEDs can take up to 3.6A then yes.
The grounds must be common but the 5V should not. You should split the 5V line in the strip at about 30 LEDs and power the two parts separately. I would also have a 1000uF capacitor across the power lines for each converter.
You said that the maximum voltage is 14V so check that 14V does not exceed the input voltage of any DC/DC converter you get.