Arduino and IOT approach feasibilty

Hey guys, I am working on an IOT cellular project. I have worked with arduino in the past but have a fairly general question about how to take the local readings from the arduino and store them in an sql cloud database and access this data in another website.

I am certainly not expecting a step by step, just need to understand the general approach. My current idea is as follows. Connect MKR GSM 1400 cellular module to an Arduino Uno and send the data to an Azure SQL database. After the data is in the azure cloud database it should be accessible by a website. Is this approach feasible?

I am cheap by design and would not use the Cellular Module. My go-to board is the Wemos D1 Mini because most of my projects use WiFi.

feynman137:
Connect MKR GSM 1400 cellular module to an Arduino Uno.

Why use two micro controllers, with all the related problems of connecting 3.3volt logic to 5volt logic.
Leo..

I have 4 ESP32's, around my residence, doing various functions. The ESP32's send and receive data from a MQTT Broker. My MQTT Broker is a RPi4. On the RPi4 I have a Python script serving as a message switchboard. One of the operations of the Python program is to save data to and read from my database on my website. I can go to my website to enable, disable, select, deselect and set the various functions of a ESP32 serving as my HVAC controller.

Thanks for the replies guys.

SteveMann I would use wifi if I could but this is going to be a remote sensor connected to a solar panel.

Leo that is a good point, didn’t realize this module could be stand-alone. But I believe I will have to drive a stepper along with collecting the analog data so having the Uno would probably be beneficial for this.

Idahowalker this is interesting as it is an alternate route, and potentially cheaper. The reason I was considering Azure cloud database instead of an RPi managed one was because I wouldn’t have to keep patching the Rpi and would be more secure I believe. Is this scalable to 100+ sensors? Also have you had any major issues with this approach?

feynman137:
But I believe I will have to drive a stepper along with collecting the analog data so having the Uno would probably be beneficial for this.

Driving a stepper is an easy task for any processor, and requires only two I/O pins (step/direction).
Adding an Uno could complicate things.

Are you sure you want a stepper for a solar panel.
They use the same or more power when not moving.
A linear actuator could be a better option.
Leo..

I will try to get around using the Uno, saves money anyway.

I am not set on the stepper with a belt rotating the panel. I am using a 3d printer for the prototype so I can just remodel if needed.

My justification was more so the price of a Nema 17 versus an actuator, which seem to be rather expensive. But I had not considered the power consumption of the stepper motor.

feynman137:

Idahowalker this is interesting as it is an alternate route, and potentially cheaper. The reason I was considering Azure cloud database instead of an RPi managed one was because I wouldn't have to keep patching the RPi and would be more secure I believe. Is this scalable to 100+ sensors? Also have you had any major issues with this approach?

I am sure a RPi4 running MQTT Broker would be able to handle several 100 connections.

I had a few issues to work through.

feynman137:

SteveMann I would use wifi if I could but this is going to be a remote sensor connected to a solar panel.

How remote? LoRa is good for 5-10km. More if you lower the data rate.

The IOT devices will be scattered in a 30 mile radius. So decently remote, and will require cellular. Also I went ahead and ordered an actuator as suggested, I think this is a better approach than the stepper although more money.

Idahowalker, sounds like you have automated your heating and cooling, which is pretty cool. Any pictures or information on how you figured this out would be appreciated. What are you using as your database, I assume MySQL or just CSV?

I have posted some of the code I use on this site and on the RPi site.

After doing a bit of research into MQTT and been reading about how others have used MQTT, I was able to do the thing.

Yea, I am using a MySQL database.