Arduino and Processing 2

I'm new to both Arduino and Processing 2. I am currently in a course that uses both. I have a MacBook Pro that both software is installed on (OSX 10.9.4, 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 from mid 2010 with 159.77 free out of 249.2 GB). I'm not sure of the IMac at the school. The problem I have is that both work fine at school; both work fine on my laptop, however, processing and arduino will not work together on my laptop but will at school. I am currently at my wits end, I have tried everything. I have the proper library for processing (I'm 99% sure), I have uploaded the right standard firmata, and followed the instructions for running analog input to processing with a varistor. Any suggestions.....please?

Is the Arduino IDE loading on your MACBook Pro and talking with the Arduino via USB?
Are you able to load Sketches to the Arduino?

I have uploaded the right standard firmata

Yuck!!

How are you opening the serial port in Processing? Most of the examples are quite poor and just rely on the last port in the list. This is not always consistent.

Here is some code that I use to ensure the right port gets opened:-

// THIS IS PROCESSING CODE
Serial cnc; // Create object from Serial class
//**************** Change this to match the device driver you are using *****************
String adaptor = "/dev/tty.usbserial-FTEJUA6O";  // the name of the device driver to use

void portConnect(){      // Open the port that the controller is connected to and use the same speed
     // **********************************
    // if the device you are looking for is 
    // not available the program will 
    // connect to the first one in the list
    // ************************************
    int portNumber = 99;
    String [] ports;
     // println(Serial.list()); // uncomment for full list of serial devices
    ports = Serial.list();
      for(int j = 0; j< ports.length; j++) { 
    if(adaptor.equals(Serial.list()[j])) portNumber = j;         
    } // go through all ports
    if(portNumber == 99) portNumber = 0; // if we haven't found our port then connect to the first one
    String portName = Serial.list()[portNumber]; 
    println("Connected to "+portName);
    cnc = new Serial(this, portName, 9600);
    cnc.bufferUntil(10);  // call serialEvent every line feed
 }