Arduino and servo *sharing* a 5V connection ?

okay, so we should never power a servo FROM the Arduino 5V pin, but what if they share the connection ?

would should i do for best practice ?

this is what i have at present;

i had noticed the "voltmeter" swing to as high as 5.31 V - and i have since added that 10 uF capacitor and the range is now from 4.98 to 5.10 V.

these swings must be from the servo action, right ?

should i add a flyback diode then ?

i know one should have them for DC motors, but i've not yet seen a circuit where a servo has it.

any thoughts for a n00b ?

Thanks.

You’re using the 5V regulator on the L298 module to power a Nano, display, and a servo after dropping 4 volts? I believe that regulator is only meant for logic (signal) level currents, not the 1000 mA one servo might draw. You might put a fan on it and good luck. :slight_smile:
BTW: Don’t you need a ground wire from the motor driver to Nano GND?

outsider:
BTW: Don't you need a ground wire from the motor driver to Nano GND?

yes, sorry - i didn't indicate that on the diagram.

outsider:
You're using the 5V regulator on the L298 module to power a Nano, display, and a servo after dropping 4 volts? I believe that regulator is only meant for logic (signal) level currents, not the 1000 mA one servo might draw.

i guess one can say that - for me, it's measuring the power rail - i suppose that also means "powering that (measuring) device" - i am assuming (wrongly ??) that would take insignificant current draw ? (relative to the other devices)

outsider:
You might put a fan on it and good luck. :slight_smile:

i'm asking for Best Practice - how SHOULD it be done properly ?

have another separate 5V supply for the servo ?