Arduino and Servos - Same external power supply

Ok, I've just uploaded the same video here on Youtube.. I've just tried to supply Arduino with the usb from the computer and the servos using a 9V-1A wall power supply, via the 9V-6V converter and it all works fine, without any noise coming from the servos. Now I think that the problem is the power supply. Do you agree? Of course, I've also connected the gnd of Arduino with the output gnd of the V converter.

gabb95:
Now I think that the problem is the power supply.

See reply #1 :wink:

gabb95:
Now I think that the problem is the power supply. Do you agree?

And Reply #6

Use your solar panels to charge a battery and use the battery to power your system.

...R

Ok guys, after some trials I've modified again the circuit, coming back to the previous one. I've modified a little the forces in the structure, reducing a little the load onto the horizontal servo (some screws and bolts were too tightened, preventing the horizontal servo moving) and, now it all works, without any jittering. I've also found that I hadn't soldered in a proper way one of the cables for the supply of the horizontal servo and, after correcting the soldering, it stopped jittering. After the initial reset, the solar panels orientate themselves towards the sun, following the indications given by the photoresistors. I'll just need to try, as soon as possible, to put the structure for a few hours under the sunlight and see if it will actually works throughout a long period of time.

See reply #1

Bill, at last, regarding the power supply, it wasn't a problem in reality, as I said, the servos didn't draw much current (pheeew, I'd say). Thanks by the way for your suggestion!

And Reply #6

Use your solar panels to charge a battery and use the battery to power your system.

...R

Robin, thank you too for this advice, I'll think about it, it may be useful in case some clouds pass by and prevent the circuit working. At least, I'd like Arduino to stay "awake" even when the servos don't work because, when you cover the panels, the circuit stops working, of course. And if the sunlight hits again the panels the circuit resets and, together with it, the servo positions, causing them to move too fast and possibly damaging the servos.

To solve this problem, I think that it may be useful (both with or without any battery) to access to the EEPROM of Arduino to store inside the last known positions of the servos, such that if the circuit resets the panels stay in the previous position.

If you want I'll post a video on youtube showing all the work :slight_smile:

Thank you very much everyone!