Arduino and TMS5220

Hello,

has someone experience with the accessing from a TMS5220 through an Arduino ?

Help would be nice !

The TMS5220 is an obsolete chip, you need both it and ROM chip containing the parameters of each word. It was designed to be part of the data & address bus structure of a microprocessor system. This makes it difficult to interface to a Uno although it should be possible to do it with a Mega.

However there is zero point because you can get a libiary that emulates it here.

I have an TMS5220 Speech Synthesizer and an TMS6100 Speech ROM.

So what difference does that make?

You have said: "The TMS5220 is an obsolete chip, you need both it and ROM chip containing the parameters of each word."

And i have answered: "I have one ROM chip, the TMS6100."

And I have said:-

However there is zero point because you can get a libiary that emulates it here.

The thing is that in order to do it you will need:-
8 I/O for the data bus bits
In addition you will also need
1 for ~RS
1 for ~WS
1 for ~Int
1 for ~Ready

And a -5V rail.
In a circuit like this:-
Speech interface.png

It is not the best schematic I have ever seen but you should be able to work it out

Hello Grumpy_Mike,

thanks for the circuit Picture, this would be very helpfull.

Now i must find out what word content my TMS6100 has.

In the internet i have found a world list for the BBC Micro TMS6100 and a word list for the ti99/4a TMS6100, but the TMS6100 was used in the 'Speak and Spell' (wordlist on page 5) product too.

Is it possible to read out the content from the TMS6100 rom with the arduino and save it as hex-dump (rom image) file ?

When yes, how ? I have no idea !

Well read this first TMS6100 - Wikipedia
And then download the data sheet Data sheet

You will see of the 28 pins of the package only 10 are used. I guess you could get an Arduino to emulate those signals in the data sheet and send the results out of the serial port. However marrying up that data on a conventional EPROM will not give you a working system.