arduino & artel ice, newbies questions

Hello Folks!

I am a newbie to arduino and atmega and attiny world.

I got arduino uno v3 and played around a lot with basic coding like leds, beeping, timers, pwm, a/d-d/a, and interrupts using the arduino compiler and the uno board. That worked perfect, I was able to re-use my c/c++ coding skills.

I even made a small AM transmitter for amateur bands using buttons for frequency and modulation settings, filters and tuning.

I received an amtel ice and lots of cables with it, and want to start using that to be able programming attiny and atmega:s in my own designs.

How do I use arduino with amtel ice to program attiny/atmega:s directly without the uno board and boot loader code ?

I don't want to take the step using amtel studio yet.

Any suggestions for a newbie ?

Go to the tools menu. At the bottom, you'll see a list of supported programmers. Atmel-ICE should be at the bottom of the list, if not, update your IDE as the ICE was a recent addition.

Once Atmel-ICE has been selected, you can upload a sketch/program using the "File->Upload with programmer" menu pick. This will upload to the target chip directly, no bootloader required. In fact, this will erase everything, bootloader included, on the target.

You'll need the core files required to support the AtTiny series of parts, they are not in the ide by default. Download here GitHub - SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore: Arduino core for ATtiny 1634, 828, x313, x4, x41, x5, x61, x7 and x8

There is another core you'll probably want, it provides many different options for the Arduino core processors.