Arduino as 4 channel ohmeter embedded with VB

Hello to all,

I'm a newbie here and I was trying if someone could help me on my project. I was thinking of using the Arduino as an ohm meter measuring 4 resistances at the same time. I try to look for any related topic on google but I wasn't lucky enough. I was only able to find a 4 channel voltmeter. I was wondering if these 4 channel voltmeter can be also used as 4 channel ohm meter. I also wanted to embed a visual basic program that will output the measured resistance for monitoring purposes.

Thanks in advance for those who will help me here.

Best Regards,

AeJakeArwen

Here are some link http://www.circuitbasics.com/arduino-ohm-meter/

|402x500 http://learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Arduino-ohmmeter.php

To set up a voltage divider and measure the voltage between the known resistor and the unknown resistor. If you need 4 channel then set up 4 of these voltage divider.

I was thinking of using the Arduino as an ohm meter measuring 4 resistances at the same time.

What resistance range do you need to measure? How much accuracy do you need? What’s the application?

For example, if you always need to measure (around) the same resistance, the Arduino may be good for that. But for a wide-range of resistances (like a regular multimeter), you’ll need multiple ranges and that could be tricky.

I try to look for any related topic on google but I wasn’t lucky enough. I was only able to find a 4 channel voltmeter. I was wondering if these 4 channel voltmeter can be also used as 4 channel ohm meter.

The Arduino uno has 6 analog inputs. If you can figure-out how to read one resistance, you can figure-out how to read 4. Don’t expect to find the exact instructions when you’re trying to do something unique. :wink:

I also wanted to embed a visual basic program that will output the measured resistance for monitoring purposes.

Maybe someone else can help you with that. Can you write a VB program that reads from the computer’s serial port?

The VB application won’t be “embedded”. The VB application will be a separate application that runs on the computer (while your separate, but related, Arduino sketch runs on the Arduino).

(It’s easy to use the Arduino’s serial monitor to display information on the computer monitor, so getting the information out of the Arduino is easy.)

For the PC part. Do you want to send data to the PC when you push a button on the Arduino (reasonable simple) or do you want to click a button on the PC, send a command to the Arduino and the Arduino replies (a little more complicated).

Once you have figured that out, you can define a ‘protocol’. Have a look Serial Input Basics - updated; specifically the part with the markers.

Regardless, initially use the Serial Monitor to get the communication going between PC and Arduino. Later you can write the PC side. This assumes that you use text based protocol, else serial monitor is useless. If you opt for a binary protocol, you have to write and debug both sides at the same time.

PS For the PC side, have a look at the BackgroundWorker class (to implement a non-blocking receive) and the SerialPort class.

sir strettje,

I was wondering if I could make a program in VB wherein I will run it then it will display the 4 resistances I am measuring. No clicking will be made except for just running the VB program. The data from the Arduino (measured resistances) will be sent through a VB program that I am about to create. Is it possible?

sir DVDdoug,

The resistances will be ranging a kilo ohm measurement with at least 2 decimal point (e.g. 1.29 KOhms, 10.25KOhms). It is a work related project that I will be using also as a thesis. Is there also a tutorial on how to make your arduino a standalone kit wherein you won't have to interface it to the PC and yet it is still functioning? I was thinking of using LCD as the display monitor instead of embedding it to the VB program.

AeJakeArwen: sir strettje,

I was wondering if I could make a program in VB wherein I will run it then it will display the 4 resistances I am measuring. No clicking will be made except for just running the VB program. The data from the Arduino (measured resistances) will be sent through a VB program that I am about to create. Is it possible?

You could write your code in the Form_Load section of your VB form to read the 4 resistances from Arduino.

AeJakeArwen: sir DVDdoug,

The resistances will be ranging a kilo ohm measurement with at least 2 decimal point (e.g. 1.29 KOhms, 10.25KOhms). It is a work related project that I will be using also as a thesis. Is there also a tutorial on how to make your arduino a standalone kit wherein you won't have to interface it to the PC and yet it is still functioning? I was thinking of using LCD as the display monitor instead of embedding it to the VB program.

Except for downloading your sketch, the Arduino need not be connected to a PC.

I suggest reading some tutorials.

AeJakeArwen: sir strettje,

Yes (see reply #6).

For this to work, you need to build in some intelligence somewhere (and I think the Arduino is the right place).

I mean, you can let your Arduino send data to the VB program continuously. That means, it will do four measurements, send the data, do four measurements again, send the data again etc etc. You will get hundreds or thousands of messages per second going to your VB program. Not very useful, I think; and I wonder if your UI can keep up with that. So I think your Arduino needs to detect changes in the resistor values (basically from infinity (no resistor inserted) to some value (resistor inserted)) and only send data if that condition is satisfied.

Question: why VB and not C#? Although C# is not the same as C/C++, it has more similarities to those than VB has. And I doubt very much that VB is easier / easier to learn than C#. Only if you have experience in VB, it would be the correct choice. But in that case you would probably not ask the question here ;)