Arduino as a wifi microphone

I was wondering if it is possible to use and arduino as a wireless microphone to the computer through wifi. If it actually is how can I create such a project?

I doubt it... I don't think the Arduino (with a Wi-Fi shield) can transmit fast-enough or continuously-enough. You might try a "simple" experiment with transmitting a [u]tone()[/u].

And of course, you have to sample the audio at a smooth-constant rate (44,100 times per second, or whatever sample rate you use) while running the Wi-Fi code at the same time.

Are you going to write the code for the computer-side?

Can you live with latency (delay)?

I am gonna write the code from the computer side using visual studio. I want to use the microphone for a voice command application I developed. I want to be able to control it from any room even outside of my house and I though that arduino would be the easiest option!

DrunkProgrammer:
I though that arduino would be the easiest option!

I doubt it. I would try a smartphone instead. Most have a decent microphone (or you could use an external mic), a decent ADC, lots of memory and processing power, and fast WiFi.

Pieter

I want to keep it small... I mean I want to have it on my ear like a hands-free!

Then why not use a Bluetooth hands-free earpiece connected to your computer?
How were you going to keep it smaller than a smart phone using an Arduino?

Pieter

This is how I am gonna keep it small Arduino PRO — Arduino Official Store

DrunkProgrammer:
This is how I am gonna keep it small Arduino PRO — Arduino Official Store

And the Wi-Fi shield to go on top of it?