Arduino as DIP28 Chip emulator possible?

Hi,

Im wondering if i can use my arduino as a DIP28 emulator? I have a DIP28 chip in my car and I dont want to take out the chip everytime i want to edit the program.. Has this been done? The code i have is in BIN format.

Jim_Coupe:
Hi,

Im wondering if i can use my arduino as a DIP28 emulator? I have a DIP28 chip in my car and I dont want to take out the chip everytime i want to edit the program.. Has this been done? The code i have is in BIN format.

What's your "DIP28" does ?
What's the chip you have ? (PIC xxxxx? Atmel xxxxx? other xxxx?)
We need more information to try help you !
I'm just waiting for PaulS answer for this question too! lol

Thanks for answer.. im using it in my old Volvo740.. Im using an EEPROM SST 27SF256 chip today.. and everytime i need to take out the box and burn this chip in my burner.. I would like to build something that can simulate that chip.. And monitor the program live would be the next step..

Just a thought im very novice on this.. but wouldnt Arduino nano just fit very nice into a DIP28 socket?

Edit: Answer... that is not possible :slight_smile:

The different pinout is not the problem, you can wire your own adapter for that.

Really problematic is the response time, when the Arduino has to watch the address lines for changes, and must provide the right data within the expected time frame (70-90ns). 70┬Ás may be achievable from internal flash, or 70ms when the data is read from an external 2GB memory device.

So you'll need at least a GHz CPU with GHz memory :wink:

Ok understadn.. But would it be possible to download the same .Bin file that i normally use in my SST 27SF256 chip to the arduino instead and make it simulate the DIP28 chip somehow..? And then figure out which pin got to what?

I foun this chip after some googling: USB2ISP-DIP28

Link: http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QnOwJXXXXXahXVXXq6xXFXXXG/USB2ISP-DIP28-USB-transfer-I2C-Master-SPI-Master-15-GPIO-including-USB-cable-.jpg

May that be what im looking for or is that just some kind of a bridge between USB and DIP28. Or is that little chip flashable and have the ability to act like a 27SF256... hmm..

LH 2.4 Jetronic FUEL ECU

This sounds like you need an EPROM Emulator. These chips are memory chips and are very fast - around 70ns so a microcontroller will not be able to emulate the memory.

Have a look here: SRI EPROM Emulator Note: this one requires a parallel port which are mostly obsolete now. EPROM Emulators usually have a RAM chip which can connect to either the target or a computer for reprogramming. We used some of these a while ago when this technology was around.

Also, most EPROM programmers can sometimes act as emulators.

If you look on Ebay, there may be some suitable devices.