arduino as isp bricks chips??

westfw: Unless your real programmer has a zif socket, it may have similar issues. (but at least any auto-reset uncertainties will be gone.)

Well at bare minimum it will let me plug the chips i want to program into my duemilanove board for all the clock and power it needs so theres no need for breadboard nonsense... hopefully i won't have any problems with this bigger chip i need to program for my cnc

27 pf caps should work when hooking up a crystal for the clock right?

shippo0708: 27 pf caps should work when hooking up a crystal for the clock right?

Yes, they should be OK. I've known someone get a board working with a crystal and no caps at all in the past, but this may not be reliable.

ok i just got my Pocket AVR Programmer in the mail and it works for most of my chips... the two i just got in the mail tho don't work -_- when i plug them into my duemilnove board... and when i hook the programmer up in a breadboard sort of setup i can't get any chips to work ;(

Is there anything special to programming the chips via breadboard?

Is there anything special to programming the chips via breadboard?

Not in my experience. Power, processor clock (crystal), RESET, SCK, MISO, MOSI, GND correctly connected and it works.

yea turns out the 4 chips i just got in the mail... 2 atmega328p (this i know for sure) and 2 atmega1284p (40pin monsters :)) arrived DOA... the programmer will read every other chip i have, except these new ones... (tried mega8l, mega328, and mega328p and works)

Thanks a lot for this! Was starting to pull my hair out before I found your solution :-)

Even a frequency pulser from another source, Arduino or AVR. 1 MHz with 0.5 pulsewidth width worked for me.

It's also worth noting that I've been programming some Arduino Nano clones successfully with a 10 uF capacitor between reset and ground, uncomment the USE OLD WIRING in the ISP sketch since I'm not using the headers, in a breadboard.

I've had multiple failures just by changing from male-to-male jumpers in a breadboard to Male-to-Female jumpers, with the female directly attached to the target arduino. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I think it has something to do with the wires as nothing else changed.

On another note, once I had a NRF24L01+ fail almost every time in a breadboard, but works perfectly soldered to a prototyping board. I think high baud applications are much more sensitive to bad wires and poor connections.

Hope this helps someone!