Arduino as ISP for standalone ATMega328P-PU

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a standalone ATMega328P-PU, the same µC which is used on my Arduino Uno. To do this I've followed this manual but it doesn't work.

The equiment:

• Windows 7 notebook with Arduino SDK (v1.0.4)
  • Arduino Uno
  • Breadboard with ATMega328P-PU, 1x 16M crystal, 2x 22pf capacitors

After connecting everything as mentioned in the link above I try to burn the bootloader and it succeeds without throwing any errors. Everything seems to be ok, but the only program working is the blink example from the SDK. Every other programm simply doesn't work. Is there any alternative or other possibility to do this?

Thanks in advance

Are you sure that it set the fuses properly when you burned the bootloader? Can you get any serial output from it? I had to compile optiboot to get a 16MHz version. Pull the crystal out while the blink program is running. Does it stop blinking? Stick the crystal back into the breadboard. Does it start blinking again? Is it blinking at the right speed?

Try adding 10K pullup resistor to the Reset pin, and 100nF/0.1uF caps to the VCC and AVCC pins.

After that, I would use Nick Gammon's programming method here:

Thank you for your answers! I'll try and give feedback!

Sounds like the first time I tried it without the Bypass caps, I used a 22uF cap too worked Much better.

Doc

I don't know why, but suddenly everything worked fine although I didn't change anything...

Thanks

Here are my notes. Hope this helps someone:
ATmega and ATtiny programming with Arduino Uno R3 as an ISP notes

pctj101:
Here are my notes. Hope this helps someone:

How do you like evernote?