Arduino as isp HELP!!!

oh my goodness. I am trying to use the arduino uno as an ISP . I have seen countless examples on the internet but can't get anything to work. Here is the steps I am doing. I am attempting the ATmega 328p on a breadboard(8MHz internal clock) with a UNO IDE version is 1.6.5

1. open the ArduinoISP example sketch Tools >> Board >> arduino UNO Programmer >> Arduino as ISP Then I upload.

2. Pull chip off of ARduino Uno board. place chip a chip on breadboard with vcc and ground pin hooked up

arduino pin chip on bradboard pin 13 19(sck) 12 18(miso) 11 17(mosi) 10 1 (reset)

3. Tools >> Board >> ATmege 328 on a breadboard(8MHZ) Tools >> Burn bootloader

This is were it fails It wont load bootloader

Error MESSAGE

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions. avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

Any idea what I can do to solve this issue. Do I use an older IDE version??

???

Thanks a bunch

You must leave the chip plugged into the Arduino that you're using as the ISP programmer - that chip is doing the work of burning the bootloader, if you remove it, it can't do that.

You also need to put a capacitor (any value of 1uF or higher should work, 10uF is typically recommended) between the reset and ground pins of the Arduino you are using as programmer after you upload Arduino as ISP sketch.

OK Thank you that worked. So now I take chip out of UNO and connect RX , TX , and RESET of the board and the chip Before I upload do I have to go to to Tools >> programmer >> AVRISP mkII

or do I leave the >> Programmer in the >> Arduino as ISP with the Chip in the UNO ??

Thank you so much .

For normal serial uploads using the uno's serial adapter for an arduino on breadboard, the chip must be removed.

serial adapters are 2 bucks shipped, and you don't have to risk damaging the pins on the chip in the uno plugging and unplugging it. Get one! For that matter, a standalone isp programmer is only like $3 (usbasp)

For normal uploads the tools ->programmer option is ignored. It is only used for burning bootloaders or doing upload with programmer (or using certain unofficial boards that don't have a bootloader and need an isp programmer for all uploads)